Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Before watching it, has a movie's release date ever given you preconceived ideas?

Before watching it, has a movie's release date ever given you preconceived ideas?

Before watching it, I read that "A Place in the Sun" was released in 1951.

And, based on that, the movie took me places that were totally unexpected. The movie is timeless to me now -- it all could have happened yesterday. (And it was the first movie I saw with Montgomery Clift -  he remains probably the best actor I've seen, overall. No matter what movie role, he always comes across as authentic, a real person, honest. Oh, yeah --  and incredibly handsome, ha. Guy Pearce is right up there with Monty, too, for me.)

A Place in the Sun

Posted - May 25, 2020

Responses

This question is right up my alley because of my love of movies and the fact that I’m a history buff.

on a regular basis, I may not necessarily look up a movie‘s background information prior to watching it, but when I do, it ties in with my love of history.  I like to know how the production of a movie fits into the social, cultural, political events current to the time period in which it was done. That includes what may have been going on with performers, crew, etc. As an example, historical accuracy is important to me for movies that are based on actual events. A World War II movie that was released during the war won’t have been thoroughly researched as a movie released in 1955 or 1960. 

~

May 26, 2020 1:07 AM MDT

:)

Yeah, stuff like that. :)

In "A Place in the Sun" I was very surprised at the plot details as they unfolded. Very "modern" -- at least, more "modern"/ "current"-type issues than what I thought would be in a 1950's movie.
      May 26, 2020 6:38 AM MDT

I forgot to add that by knowing the release date of a movie, it also plays into where an actress or actor was in her or his career at the time. 

~

May 26, 2020 7:29 AM MDT

Yes!

(I think "A Place in the Sun" was Clift's first movie but I'm unsure. I've read quite a bit about his personal and professional life -- he surely had a lot of challenges; many, seemingly, self-created.)
      May 26, 2020 7:34 AM MDT

I rarely watch a movie if I've read the book unless the movie came out long after the book.  I find that I have preconceived notions of what characters look like and how they act and often Central Casting and I don't agree. :)  
      May 26, 2020 9:26 AM MDT

I get your point! :)

And my own "case in point" - - I'll just say that I read, and really liked, Stephen King's "The Shining." And I almost left the theater in disgust while watching director Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" -- and realizing he must have encouraged, and or agreed with, Jack Nicholson's choices on how to portray 'Jack Torrance.'
      May 26, 2020 10:52 PM MDT

That isn't the genre of movies I would go to see or to read about.  Life is scary enough without adding to it. :)
      May 27, 2020 9:30 AM MDT

Good thinking on your part! :)

I don't so much spend time in that genre as I used to but I did for a long time. :)
      May 27, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

After watching "Psycho," I had to make sure no one was in the shower before I got in.  Then there was "Rosemary's baby."  However, the movie was VERY close to the book and I was astonished at how well they portrayed some of the scenes.
      May 27, 2020 12:00 PM MDT

I like both of those movies a lot!
      May 27, 2020 6:25 PM MDT

not yet
      June 22, 2020 4:50 PM MDT