Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Well, my friends, the time has come. Today I took early retirement and for the first time in adulthood am without employment.

Well, my friends, the time has come. Today I took early retirement and for the first time in adulthood am without employment.

Would any of you believe that I couldn’t figure out a way to phrase this in the form of a question?

Posted - June 1, 2020

Responses

Congratulations!
    :)

I know you retired because I see you got your five o'clock shadow perfect.
    :)
      June 1, 2020 8:08 PM MDT

Wow, congratulations!  I'll bet your wife can keep you busy with honey do's. Stay active, stay healthy. 
      June 1, 2020 8:11 PM MDT

Grrrrrrr.  You weren’t supposed to tell her!  I had plans, you know!

~

June 1, 2020 8:18 PM MDT

You deserve a good rest. 
      June 1, 2020 8:49 PM MDT

With all your activity on here, I would have guessed you were already retired. Does this mean all Randy, all tildes, all the time?
      June 1, 2020 8:23 PM MDT

And sammiches, and grammar, and Vegemite-hatred, and anti-avocado activity, and Harem administration, and fighting frivolous restraining orders, and work in earnest toward getting Livvie committed to a mental facility, and word games, and . . . 

June 1, 2020 8:41 PM MDT

I thought you like Vegemite.
      June 1, 2020 9:12 PM MDT

NOOOOOOOO!!!!
    ~

June 1, 2020 9:15 PM MDT

Then why do you talk so much about it? I had never heard of it before.
      June 1, 2020 9:28 PM MDT

You don’t get out much, right?  Sheltered life, I guess. I talk about avocado and guacamole also, which I despise as much as I do Vegemite. Try to keep up.

~

June 1, 2020 9:42 PM MDT

There are those who enjoy Vegemite, avocados, coffee and Australian beer - and those who are wrong.
      June 22, 2020 8:45 PM MDT

Congratulations!  Do you have a hobby or interest that will fill the time you now have on your hands?  Having nothing to do is nice for a while, but after a bit, it can become tiresome.
      June 2, 2020 9:55 AM MDT

Oh, believe me, I got bored with just the prospect of early retirement about two days after I was notified of it, and that was back in late March of this year.  For about the past ten years I could often be heard saying to coworkers that I can’t even imagine myself not working, it’s the workaholic gene in me that does that. Now that it has become a reality, your warning is completely appropriate, but the tiresome nature of it set in right away. 

Unfortunately, the timing of my departure coinciding with the ravages of COVID19 curtails a lot of plans I already had in motion, so like much of the rest of the world‘s population, I’m in a wait and see holding pattern right now.

~

June 2, 2020 7:43 PM MDT

I sympathize with your plight which is why I have only partially retired.  I work three days a week (normally) and have four consecutive days off.  Now that I we're working remotely, I am working 5 days from 9:30 to 2:30 which is easier than sitting in front of my laptop for 7 hours a day with nothing to do.  At least I still can get some things done after 2:30 while there's still light.  At some point, though, I need to stop working.  I'll be 75 in September and I've really had enough.  Not sure what I will do after that to keep busy, but I have every intention of finding something rewarding.  
      June 3, 2020 12:22 PM MDT

I believe you’ve stated in the past that you work for a private firm, correct?  As such, those potions options are available to you. I, however, worked for the US federal government in a position and a capacity that doesn’t allow for that particular flexibility. My retirement is mandatory based on a lot of factors that I care not to publicize. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 3, 2020 4:31 PM MDT
      June 3, 2020 2:47 PM MDT

potions?  I don't need no stinking potions!

You're correct, it is a private firm and I do have more options than many others.  
      June 3, 2020 3:44 PM MDT

Doh!  How did those letters get transposed?  Grrrrrrr. 

~

June 3, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

I don't know if it's age or what, but I find that I have been transposing letters more lately than usual.  Maybe it's all this working from home. :)
      June 3, 2020 9:31 PM MDT

Congratulations Randall.  I took early retirement at 51 and never looked back.
      June 2, 2020 6:00 PM MDT

Thank you!
    ~
      June 2, 2020 7:44 PM MDT

I feel like the world as I know it has been shattered to a billion pieces. 
    I mean, congratulations. 
      June 2, 2020 6:13 PM MDT

Thank you!

(((Hey, wait . . . )))

June 2, 2020 7:45 PM MDT

If you had told us this 4 months ago, I would have told you how great retirement is. When I thought about retirement initially, I feared turning into someone who sat home all day watching cable news. But that isn't my style and it didn't take long to adapt. Now, in just a few weeks, my worst fears have been realized. My advice to you, Randy, is to find something that makes you feel needed and gives you purpose.  You don't need to be paid for your contributions in order to derive satisfaction from them. 
      June 3, 2020 9:38 PM MDT

I had already looked into several volunteer opportunities that REALLY interest me; all are on virus-hold for now.

Blood bank (I have been a donor for over 20 years)
    Public library
    Recording books, magazines and newspapers for the blind and the illiterate 
    Teaching literacy to adults 
    Teaching ESL
    Public garden at the park
    Docent

I‘m also interested in becoming a Notary Public
    ~

June 3, 2020 10:01 PM MDT