Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Finance » If you’ve ever been the victim of a scam, how bad was it? Once in Peru, I was cheated out of a few dollars by a money-changer.

If you’ve ever been the victim of a scam, how bad was it? Once in Peru, I was cheated out of a few dollars by a money-changer.

~

Posted - June 5, 2020

Responses

Not too long ago, I ordered a blouse from an advertiser on Facebook.  I received it but it was much smaller than I anticipated, even though the label said it was the size I ordered.  When I contacted them for instructions on how to return it, I discovered that it had to be sent to China, even though it was shipped to me from the U.S.  The blouse was $19 - the cost to return it would have been $40.00!  When I complained about that to the company, they said I should have looked at their return policy where it stated items had to go back to China.  Naturally, that's what it said in the small print.  I couldn't even complain to my credit card company.  I decided to give the blouse away and made a mental note to check reviews from people who have ordered from these types of companies before I order anything.
      June 5, 2020 9:07 AM MDT

I wish you had not lost out on a single penny.  I’ve never been a fan of buying clothing or footwear sight unseen. I prefer having the opportunity to try them on before purchasing in order to make my decision. Additionally, I am loathe to buying anything over the internet. 

~

June 5, 2020 9:18 AM MDT

Well, at least it wasn't an exorbitant amount of money.  I know that isn't the point.  I have learned my lesson.  
      June 5, 2020 11:43 AM MDT

My experience in Peru was similarly fortunate in that to me it was only a few dollars, five or six at the most, and I absorbed my loss as a lesson learned, but with the difference between the US dollar and the Peruvian sole, that amount money may have represented a lot more to the scammers who got me.

~

June 5, 2020 11:59 AM MDT

I'm sure it did.  Sometimes, it takes getting burned to learn your lesson.  Hopefully, the amount involved is a small one.
      June 5, 2020 12:10 PM MDT

About 1972 a new dating club opened up so I enquired and paid $200. to become a member. Before I even got one date they disappeared. 
    There was an item in the paper about this fake dating club that ripped off a few people. 
      June 5, 2020 10:50 AM MDT

Wow, they had such stuff in 1972?

~

June 5, 2020 11:04 AM MDT

Yeah. I found out later on that dating clubs are a scam anyway even if you do get dates. They seem to deliberately mismatch people to avoid relationships from happening and members will continue to extend their memberships. In the contract is an agreement to pay a good chunk of money if a marriage happens.
      June 5, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

I bought concert tickets from someone on Craigslist once. I got the guy's ID and his email address used his name. I looked him up online beforehand and found him on LinkedIn too. All seemed legit. I sent him the money and then he vanished. Turns out, the scammer was using a stolen ID on top of everything else. I reported him to everyone involved- the company that handled the transaction, Craigslist, etc., and also contacted the person whose identity had been stolen.

I don't remember how much I lost... I think it was under $100. I ended up writing to the musician's manager and asked if there was a safe way to still get tickets (they were sold out, which is why I was resorting to Craigslist) and the manager ended up adding me and a plus one to the guest list, so I got in free. Wound up being one of the best nights of my life. 
      June 5, 2020 3:14 PM MDT

June 5, 2020 6:21 PM MDT

Many years ago I bought a brand new Compaq laptop on ebay for $500.  Never received.  I just called my bank and they did a charge back and that was the end of that.  This is a good opportunity to mention that having your credit card with a bank who services their own Visa/Mastercard products is truly 500% better for their customers.  The difference in talking to VISA and talking to the people down the street...no comparison.
      June 5, 2020 4:59 PM MDT

June 5, 2020 6:22 PM MDT

The scammers are always calling our land line 24/7 and there are just so many of them. I'm sure but I'm just not even going to consider that and just let whatever happened happen and try to be more careful. 
      June 6, 2020 8:06 PM MDT

i once had someone go into my bank acct and take out about $1000 dollars, the bank put the money back while they investigated and i got to keep it, never found out who did it
      June 7, 2020 2:59 PM MDT