Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Much like DNA, fingerprints and snowflakes*, are all people’s voices distinct, or are any two humans’ voices exactly alike?

Much like DNA, fingerprints and snowflakes*, are all people’s voices distinct, or are any two humans’ voices exactly alike?

I’m not referring to two different people’s voices merely being close enough to each other that they sound somewhat similar, I’m referring to exact carbon copies so precisely alike that it’s impossible to distinguish or ascertain which person spoke, even through scientific analysis.  Thank you.

*I just threw in the snowflakes reference because even though for many years it was touted that no two snowflakes are or can ever be exactly alike, I believe it came out later that that supposition might not be accurate, and that duplicates might exist. I am not sure either way. 

~

Posted - June 6, 2020

Responses

I don't know.

I miss the Oxford comma.
      June 6, 2020 2:54 PM MDT

(Did I misuse or incorrectly omit the Oxford comma?)

June 6, 2020 3:51 PM MDT

Omitting it is accepted in journalistic text.  No, you didn't omit it incorrectly.  I, personally, prefer that it always be present. 
      July 23, 2020 7:09 PM MDT

Your voice is unique to you....you might not think it...but its actually like a fingerprint as everyone's body is different as are their vocal cords and in this case size and shape does matter.... :)
      June 6, 2020 3:02 PM MDT

Infinite Possibilities
      June 7, 2020 11:40 AM MDT

im an identical twin and my sister's voice sounds exactly like mine
      June 7, 2020 2:57 PM MDT

Voices are unique, and not just in our own species.

The human voice is also governed by accent. Everyone naturally speaks with his or her native region's accent unless changing it artificially or by moving to another region with a markedly different sound. That changes hybridises the voice, usually making it still more individual. However, we tend not to notice our natural accent among our home communities, so we think we have no accent.

For example, I am a Southern English native and resident; and do not notice the accent of people from my own area. Yet fellow Southerners sometimes notice my inherited traces of Midlands / Northern English accents, while if I go 200 miles or so North, people there recognise that I am Southern. That's on top of my own voice as me, myself, I. 

Even the cries of very young babies, human or other, are individual. This allows the mums even in very large colonies of animals that all sound the same to us, to recognise their own offspring. Human mothers have the same instinct but it fades rapidly because we live and communicate in ways so different from those of other animals. 
      July 23, 2020 3:30 PM MDT