Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » EXCLUDING financial reasons, why do some people not have regular visits to doctors or dentist? ~

EXCLUDING financial reasons, why do some people not have regular visits to doctors or dentist? ~

Posted - June 7, 2020

Responses

Don't need 'em.  They're feeling fine, so why bother (if it ain't broke why fix it?).

June 7, 2020 12:36 PM MDT

That doesn't hold water. There are medical issues that display no obvious symptoms. Using that logic is foolish.
      June 7, 2020 12:58 PM MDT

I never said it was a logical reason.  And its mostly a male thing.
      June 7, 2020 3:52 PM MDT

Dentist visits I do religiously, but doctor visits used to be only if I wasn't feeling well.  Now that I've been diagnosed with A-fib and borderline thyroid issues, I do semi-annual visits to the internist and the cardiologist.
      June 7, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

Have you got the KardiaMobile? It is supposed to help read that at home and tell you if need to seek medical attention.
      June 7, 2020 2:14 PM MDT

No.  One of the reasons is that I think it's hooked up to a smart phone which I don't have.
      June 7, 2020 4:29 PM MDT

Yes. There is an app.  I do not know if it would work with a desktop or not. It would work with ipad or android tablet. This post was edited by my2cents at June 8, 2020 11:02 AM MDT
      June 7, 2020 5:53 PM MDT

I'll have to check it out.  Thanks.
      June 8, 2020 11:02 AM MDT

They are afraid of bad news. That would be me.
      June 7, 2020 1:44 PM MDT

Good point. Some people prefer to live in denial.
      June 7, 2020 1:46 PM MDT

My doctor and dentist agree.
      June 7, 2020 1:51 PM MDT

Exactly!
    :) :)
      June 7, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

It is all financial as far as a dentist goes. There is only one doctor I still need and don't want to pick one out of the group.  I really want an expert, modern spine surgeon who may have a new kind of procedure.   How does one go about finding one who will take medicare?  That answers my own question so I'd rather not have another surgery that may make me worse. 
      June 7, 2020 1:51 PM MDT

The best method is a fusion surgery. I found the best surgeon in the area and he performed a miracle. That was a year ago. This post was edited by Element 99 at June 7, 2020 6:41 PM MDT
      June 7, 2020 1:54 PM MDT

Thank you
      June 7, 2020 6:37 PM MDT

Go to medicare.gov the doctors who accept it and their specialties. 
      June 7, 2020 2:20 PM MDT

Thank you, I will. 
      June 7, 2020 6:37 PM MDT

My regular doctor moved into a walk-in clinic with 6 other doctors and try phoning for an appointment and put on hold for too long so I just go into a different walk-in clinic whenever i need to and get served faster than bothering with making an appointment at his place. 
      June 7, 2020 2:04 PM MDT

theyre afraid of the corona virus
      June 7, 2020 2:46 PM MDT

Beyond the price, I can't come up with one but Don has one I can share. 
    It's kind of a love story, too. ;)
    There was a man and women who loved each other very much. They lived their life together full of activities and running their ranch. They didn't spend their money on "what if they got sick" or even injured.
    Their thought was, Why spend money thinking we will get sick because if we think we will, we probably WILL!  It made no sense to them.  Don't spend money, thinking you ARE going to get sick. Nobody wants to be sick so don't think about, take precautions and go on living. Spend that money on living things and nurture those.
    They were happy and healthy for many years.

When they were in their 70s, she began to get tired.  I imagine we ALL will be a little tired in our 70s and 80s.
    After a couple weeks, the man finally took her to a doctor.  The doc told him she was in good health for a women her age but she would die soon.
    He took her home.
    There was a jigsaw puzzle on the table set up on the porch. Every night, after dinner, they each had one scotch and would sit down, together, and work on it.
    It was a tough one. 
    A couple weeks went by and he continued to do small chores around the ranch and she continued to putter around the house and they smiled and laughed and worked on that jigsaw puzzle with their scotch, every night.
    One morning, he woke up and she didn't. 
    He called the same doctor and they came out. 
    He looked at the doctor and said, "You were right.  She did die but she did it here with me.  I know she was happy until the end."
    The doctor looked at him and said, "Now, you are right, too."
    They took her away and they had a ceremony for her. 
    He sat on that porch for a couple of nights, with his one scotch and tried to finish the jigsaw puzzle.
    There was no light in his eyes or spirit in his movements.  He just went through the motions.
    A week later, he died in his sleep.
    He couldn't and didn't want to live without her.
    They did this all without insurance because they believed they didn't need it.
    And they didn't.
    I believe they still live happily ever after on another plane.

June 7, 2020 5:17 PM MDT

They did...very touching. I want to go that way. (Me first, though.)
      June 7, 2020 6:41 PM MDT