Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Monroe, MI citizens want to remove a statue of George Custer as he was instrumental in removing native Americans before he was cut down.

Monroe, MI citizens want to remove a statue of George Custer as he was instrumental in removing native Americans before he was cut down.

Should we remove statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson because they were slave owners? Let's include Andrew Jackson, who signed the Indian Removal Act of 1830.
Remove Washington from the one dollar bill and the current twenty five cent coin. Remove Jefferson from the two dollar bill and the five cent coin. Remove Jackson from the twenty dollar bill. If you are offended by this question, please report me.

Posted - June 14, 2020

Responses

I think there oughta be a statue of Lucas McCain. However, he did kill dozens and dozens of gun slinging bullies on his TV show. After all, even a gun slinging bully has rights. Ain't I right, ACLU? 
      June 15, 2020 8:02 AM MDT

gunslinging or gun-slinging
      June 15, 2020 12:32 PM MDT

• I think if the citizens of a community come to the collection decision to remove a statue from their town, they have every right to do so. I do not support their removal by mobs. As it is, statues of people are rare around here. I can think of a few statues near where I grew up and they're all abstract art. 
      June 15, 2020 10:29 AM MDT

collection collective

June 15, 2020 12:33 PM MDT

As a Caucasian, I will never be able to understand the full meaning of what it is to be Black.  I can try to understand, but it will be a superficial understanding.  

With that disclaimer in mind, I think removing statues of various historical persons does not remove the history of this country or the terrible treatment slaves suffered.  Much the way Germany has kept some of the concentration camps as reminders of man's inhumanity to man, those statues should serve as reminders that slavery and the horrible treatment of another human being, simply because of the color of their skin, should never happen again.  
      June 15, 2020 12:10 PM MDT

Do you see turning a concentration camp into a museum-like exhibit to educate and commemorate the victims being different than erecting a statue in honor of a person or an event?
    ~

June 15, 2020 12:35 PM MDT

I see the concentration camps as museums reminders that an awful historical event happened and a reminder to see that it never happens again.  The statues should have explanations attached to them explaining that the person was a slave-owner, fought to maintain slavery in contradiction for what this country's values supposedly are.  They were figures of a historical time but not honorable ones.
      June 15, 2020 1:05 PM MDT

Well ... shouldn't ALL Christians be against any form of "hero worship", including erecting statues or monuments?
    Doesn't that violate the "no gods before me" Commandment?

June 15, 2020 1:34 PM MDT

Oddly, I agree with you. Wait...wasn't Jesus kind of a 'hero' to many?
      June 15, 2020 2:06 PM MDT

thats up to them to decide
      June 21, 2020 1:59 PM MDT