Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Would you please help me compile a list of black “entertainers” who have lost or will lose their jobs for using the n-word?

Would you please help me compile a list of black “entertainers” who have lost or will lose their jobs for using the n-word?

[Hey, wait. Why am I only hearing crickets chirping out there?]

Posted - June 28, 2020

Responses

I honestly don't understand why Blacks refer to each other using the "N" word.  You don't hear Jews referring to one another as "kikes" or Italians referring to each other as "wops."  
      June 28, 2020 4:24 PM MDT

Some blacks, please. 

June 28, 2020 4:42 PM MDT

You're absolutely correct - SOME Blacks.
      June 29, 2020 9:25 AM MDT

Thank you, SpunkySenior. 

~

June 29, 2020 10:30 AM MDT

Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Chris Tucker. Uh, sorry, but my list is short since I have this here computer to mess around on. 
      June 28, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

Which jobs have those three lost or are in the process of losing?

June 28, 2020 4:43 PM MDT

I would say you could run out of ink after you write down the number one and try to think of a name and your list would be complete.
      June 28, 2020 5:33 PM MDT

Perhaps Clayton Bigsby. 
      June 29, 2020 11:54 AM MDT

Thank you; I will have to look into it, I’m not familiar with his name.
    ~

June 30, 2020 4:59 AM MDT

He was a character on a Dave Chappelle skit.
      June 30, 2020 7:24 AM MDT

Was he portrayed by Chappelle himself? (I never saw the show.)
    ~

June 30, 2020 9:11 AM MDT

Yeah, Chapelle plays a blind guy who thinks he’s white and he is the leader of the local KKK. They don’t realize he’s not white because he always wears a mask and gloves to the meetings. 

It isn’t quite the scenario you painted in your question, but it reminded me of it.

https://youtu.be/BLNDqxrUUwQ This post was edited by Paynuts at June 30, 2020 10:18 AM MDT
      June 30, 2020 10:16 AM MDT

I thought the rule was that black people could use that word with impunity. So, I don't think there can be a list.
      June 29, 2020 12:49 PM MDT

That’s not a universally accepted “rule”. Some black people defend the use of the word as (in their words, not mine) “our property” or “our right”.  I could not disagree more, and it’s absolutely senseless to me. If I want to be respected by someone who is not of my ethnicity, how or why would I allow someone who is of my ethnicity to disrespect me, especially in an open and public way?  I can’t allow it coming from one camp and expect it to be ignored if coming from a second camp.

If a weapon in the hands of one person is used to murder someone, then transferred to a second person to murder someone else, the act of murder doesn’t become cleaner or more justified based on possession.  This topic is practically split down the middle among black people; there are some who adamantly defend its use, and some who are adamantly against it.  I belong to the latter group.

Just like all other aspects of life, I think it’s important to note that not all black people are exactly alike in their thoughts, actions or words, and this issue is a prime example of that. This hasn’t happened with me in over twenty years, but I had to let a white guy know that it wasn’t “ok” with me to hear him refer to black people that way. He appeared genuinely surprised, stating that because some other black men in our unit used it in conversation with each other, he thought it was acceptable. I had to explain to him that just because one or many people do something doesn’t make it right. Look at how many murders happen every day worldwide. Anyone could justify himself committing a murder based merely on the fact that others commit it also, if that were valid. I never heard that man use the epitaph again; maybe he merely stopped using it in my presence, I don’t know. I do know that it was a small step, a small victory either way.
    ~

June 30, 2020 4:57 AM MDT

Thank you for giving me another way of looking at it. My assumption had been that that the word was not a racial slur when used among members of the same race. I also did not think about whether this was a matter of disagreement. Black entertainers use the word openly without censorship and as I think about it, it does sound disrespectful. I appreciate your thought-provoking response.
      June 30, 2020 7:31 AM MDT

You're welcome. I’m just as offended if or when a black person addresses me or refers to me that way as I am when anyone else does it, and I let them know what to. Yes, it is extremely divisive in the larger black community, specifically because each camp is so staunch on their positions. There are some black people who use it and absolutely cannot be convinced otherwise, no matter how stringently it’s presented to them BY OTHER BLACK PEOPLE.  Strangely, some of those same people will viscously attack non-black people for using it.

You may be familiar with my stance of profanity and/or vulgar language in general, I am not a proponent of it. When it comes to certain words or phrases, however,  I am even more vehemently opposed to their use than average vulgarisms.

You are not alone in being unaware that some black people embrace that word and others are steadfast against it. Hopefully anyone who reads this part of the thread will be similarly enlightened.  Its harmfulness is expanded when people outside of the black community are duped into thinking that it must be acceptable because some black people use it. 

I wish I could find it in print, but there was a very eloquent way the late poet and author Maya Angelou put it to Tupac Shakur about his use of it; shockingly enough, it was based on his having done it while addressing her!

~

June 30, 2020 9:10 AM MDT

Almost every black rap "artist" in existence. Start with the Straight Outta Compton crowd - do you know what the N in NWA stands for?
      June 30, 2020 7:42 AM MDT

Of course I know what it stands for. 

~

June 30, 2020 9:12 AM MDT