Discussion » Questions » Business » Did anyone else just get a huge insurance increase?

Did anyone else just get a huge insurance increase?

My auto insurance just raised the price 50% overnight. It goes into effect in August. I'm used to companies performing regular reviews and doing slight increases, but this is insane, especially at a time when everything is closed and nobody is driving. I can't fathom how they're justifying a hike like this. Accident risk has to be way down and nothing has changed on my end. 

I'm wondering if my company is just being greedy and/or they're out a ton of money because people aren't paying their bills and need to make up for it by raising rates for everyone else. 

Have you guys noticed this?!?

Posted - July 7, 2020

Responses

Quite a few insurance companies here actually gave people a  refund as they said that many of us had drastically reduced our car use during the Covid period. 
    I am anticipating that since they say that they did this because they were facing drastically reduced numbers of accidents and claims, then they will not need to hike the premiums at renewal. 
      July 7, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

My car insurance stayed the same (minus depreciation).

Yes, some companies who are out money will attempt to make it up via their customers. They do it all the time.  The only recourse is not to use them. 

I suggest you call your insurance company and register a complaint.  Of they say, oh well or tough cookies, you might look for a new company.  If you do, get another company, make a point to tell your old insurance company why and that you will be telling others not to shop with them. Companies hate losing customers as it means lost money.  The way social media works these days, there’s no such thing as “one unhappy customer”.  One unhappy customer can quickly equal 10-1000 lost customers or lost potential customers, and bad publicity.  And that’s a lot of lost money.

July 7, 2020 1:55 PM MDT

I did complain. I got a generic reply that outlines the reasons why premiums sometimes go up. I then filed a complaint about the poor customer service and posted a bad review. I'll let them sort it out if they care enough to. 
      July 7, 2020 4:12 PM MDT

Did you happen to notice if any other policy holders also posted negative reviews about the same thing happening to them?
    ~

July 7, 2020 4:18 PM MDT

I looked but didn't see any yet.
      July 7, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

No, I haven’t noticed it yet, but reading your post is cautionary for me and I will now be on the lookout. In my case, retirement coincided with the onset of COVID-19, so almost everything concerning my finances required review and tweaking. My various insurance policies underwent changes, deletions, interruptions, transfers, etc., so it’s a continuing process of seeing final outcomes across the board.

By the way, based on what you wrote, I do believe that your insurance company is being greedy.  Did they itemize the factors that support an increased premium?

~

July 7, 2020 2:02 PM MDT

Nope. When I wrote to complain, they sent me a list of all the potential causes but couldn't clarify which, if any, applied to me.
      July 7, 2020 4:13 PM MDT

You’ve been pigeon-holed and form-lettered!

July 7, 2020 4:17 PM MDT

My husband pays our car insurance bill every six months.  Our car insurance is with America West and it went down for the last three six-month periods.  Anyway, we have an independent insurance agent who shops around for us every six months and if he finds a lower rate he'll give us a call to let us know about it.
      July 7, 2020 2:34 PM MDT

No. I got a lower premium for 2 months because of the virus.  Knocked off about $40 each month. 
      July 7, 2020 2:52 PM MDT

I think that's what should have happened here. Nobody is driving. Sigh. 
      July 7, 2020 4:13 PM MDT

Yes. If you have not gotten any tickets or claims...they should have given a credit.  I would be shopping around if I were you. We have insurance with Flo (progressive) I think Spunky said Geico also did the credit.  And I know another company was advertising a discount for the virus as well.  (Allstate maybe) 
      July 7, 2020 5:21 PM MDT

To be fair, I switched to this company from Allstate about 18 months ago because they slashed my rates in a big way. Even now with the increases, I'm still paying $40 less per month than I did with Allstate. I think it just irritates me that I have heard companies advertising reduced rates because of COVID and the timing here, especially paired with such a huge hike, seems contrary to all logic and the opposite of what all other brands are doing. I do plan to shop around. I'm not sure if I'll do better but I'm going to look.
      July 7, 2020 5:31 PM MDT

Ahhh ... maybe you got an "introductory rate" that ended.

Sort of like cable/phone companies do, to encourage people to switch.

You can also check with your state insurance commission.  Maybe?
    My state, the insurance companies can't raise rates across the board without state permission.
      July 8, 2020 11:57 AM MDT

No- it wasn't an introductory rate. I will connect with the insurance commission. Thanks!
      July 8, 2020 3:21 PM MDT

Just commented this on TM's but I wanted to let you know you had the right idea with calling the state. I did and they think the company may have broken several laws. 
      July 10, 2020 5:38 PM MDT

GEICO notified me that they were decreasing my premium based on lower usage due to Covid-19.  I had paid the full 6 months in advance, so I'm waiting to see what happens when my renewal comes up in September.
      July 7, 2020 3:23 PM MDT

Hopefully, you get some money back or a credit! 
      July 7, 2020 4:14 PM MDT

Well, the notice came after I had already paid my 6-month premium, so I'm guessing that refund will be applied to my next insured period in September.  I'll have to wait and see.
      July 8, 2020 6:31 AM MDT

Mine went down slightly. Allstate has never let me down in 40+ years.
      July 7, 2020 4:53 PM MDT

I have issues with Allstate. :/
      July 7, 2020 5:35 PM MDT

You probably already know this and have a reason for not using them, but as a former service member, you're eligible to use USAA. 

A few years ago, I agreed to be contacted by Allstate for a consultation/quote for some kind of sweepstakes type deal. When they called me and learned that I use USAA, they immediately said something like "Okay, congrats and never mind. We know that we can't beat their service or rates". 

Next to my children, my lifetime membership to USAA is the best thing that came out of my marriage! :)
      July 7, 2020 6:25 PM MDT

I know I am eligible for USAA, but Allstate has done some thing 'under the table' for us.
      July 7, 2020 7:24 PM MDT

Ooohh! I see. 

A little "you're in good hand(s)" job, eh? I get it. 

July 7, 2020 7:28 PM MDT