Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What is your “Worst Road Trip” story? ~

What is your “Worst Road Trip” story? ~

Posted - July 18, 2020

Responses

I lost presence of mind when I thought it would be fun to make an east coast to west coast road trip with my daughter and my mother.  This was about 13 years ago.  Oh my goodness......my worst idea yet. 
      July 18, 2020 6:46 PM MDT

Trip from Adelaide to Sydney, and return via Warrnambool.
    On the way over, we stopped overnight at Nerrandera. My wife and I, and our then eight-year-old daughter got out of the car at the motel, I turned back to get my three-year-old son out - but he got to the door lock button first. Central locking and the keys in the ignition, it was over an hour before the NRMA got there (couldn't make Tim understand what was required of him).
    After spending a week with the fam, interstate, we headed to Warrnambool to visit with friends for a few days before heading home. Stopped in the town of Echuca for dinner and while there a truck parked beside me, so when leaving I had to back out wide - crossed the centre line by no more than 12 inches as a police car came around the corner and ticketed me for crossing a solid line. Had I backed out any more tightly I'd have hit the truck, but the cop saw the interstate registration plates on the car and knew I wouldn't be coming back to fight it.
    Then after passing Ballarat, hit a fog bank - and drove for the next 200 miles at 25mph, with the reflective "cat's eyes" the only thing I could see.
      July 18, 2020 11:31 PM MDT

Brutal!

:[

July 18, 2020 11:50 PM MDT

I drove 200 miles to compete in a motorcycle race. I had a girlfriend with me. I crashed and was taken to the hospital. I had been knocked out and was in no condition to drive. So the girlfriend called my mother, and she called my buddies, and they all drove 200 miles to rescue us. 
      July 19, 2020 7:25 AM MDT