Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Do you like swimming for exercise?

Do you like swimming for exercise?

Why or what not? If so, where do you swim and what is your favorite way to swim? I love swimming and being in the water. I feel swimming is possibly the best exercise, because it uses all of your body muscles. I do it both for exercise and relaxation, not to mention fun. Usually do about 70 laps in the lanes. I was doing it at least 4 times a week up until our public pool closed, due to Covid-19. It's indoors and open year round otherwise.
When I was a young boy. Dad would always make sure any motel we stayed at had a pool so we could both use it.
Not sure if anyone here has their own personal at home pools.

Posted - August 2, 2020

Responses

I used to swim laps but I don't get into the pool anymore.  I just can't bring myself to get in there.......it would be  like taking a bath with my neighbors.   Never going to happen.  If I still had  one I didn't have to share I would still swim some.  I know....there is the whole ocean.  I love the beach but not someone who gets into the ocean.  Petrified.  I would get in with my small children so they would not grow up like me.  I would be shaking and jumping the waves.  What we do for them....
      August 2, 2020 8:30 PM MDT

Yeah, I totally understand.
      August 2, 2020 8:38 PM MDT

No, I only like it for not drowning. (I’m not very good at it, so for me, it’s just for survival.)
    ~

August 2, 2020 8:56 PM MDT

I can understand. My dad doesn't swim either, for the same reason as you, but didn't mind taking me into the water as a young kid just for fun. I actually took swimming lessons at the same pool I go to now when I was around 6-years-old.
      August 2, 2020 9:00 PM MDT

I swim to cool off. I used to swim out to where the waves were breaking, but Adelaide's beaches don't have any worth riding. I doubt I could still ride a board now.
      August 3, 2020 3:10 AM MDT

I love swimming but not in a pool of toxic chemicals or grime from the public.   I understand a saltwater pool is the only way to go. 
      August 3, 2020 4:58 AM MDT

Having always lived by sea, and with public pools available too, I'd love to swim for exercise.... but as I can't float, I can't swim!

That is unusual. Most people are buoyant, but I personally know at least two other people in the same situation.

Answering Honeydew, I can only say the pools you have encountered were ineptly maintained and managed, including controls on users.  The additives are of such low dilution when used correctly that the odd mouthfuls of pool water you might swallow are harmless; and users should shower before going in the pool.
      August 16, 2020 4:44 PM MDT

I'd encourage you to try and learn to swim. It's not so hard. Plus one of the best exercise and fun too. However, do you at least like being in the water for enjoyment?

Our public city pool is kept pretty clean and well maintained. It is actually salt water based, but still uses some chlorine. Yes, users are supposed to shower before getting into the pool, and most do follow that rule. You should also shower after getting out to rinse the chlorine smell, and wash up. I do both. Still just waiting for our public pool to reopen from the virus stuff. Hopefully very soon, but with safety too.
      August 16, 2020 5:01 PM MDT

Thank you Nightwolf.

Actually I did try lessons, several years ago now, but gave up after eight months of making no progress.

It took me all my strength to stay on the surface; ;and I could reach the far end of the pool only by staying in the lane next to the side where I could rest by holding the rim with my feet on a little ledge. Sometimes I made the full length back in one go, helped by having identified a feature in the room opposite where I could stand up if necessary; but by the last few yards whatever stroke I'd tried using had gone to pot.

There were two groups of other swimmers in the class; and I envied them both, especially when I realised I could never  be as good as them. They were all very encouraging to me though.

The first group, in the lanes next to me, were three or four women who had learnt to swim well, and you could call "improvers" able to swim two or four lengths without stopping.  

The others, on the far side, were several men who could and did swim hard and fast, sometime making the water quite choppy. They would typically swim four or more lengths with full racing turns at the deep end, gliding a third of the way back submerged before surfacing to breathe and charge back to the shallow end. Then they'd stop for a rest and chat amongst themselves for ten  minutes or so before going for it again. 

I like being in the water, and I can swim rather inelegantly, in salt water, for ten yards or so before I have to rest. So I either wade out into the sea to about chest deep and swim back in, or swim parallel to the shore in water a little over waist-deep. It depends on the nature of the beach and how well I know it. My natural stroke is a vague blend of side-crawl and doggy-paddle, nothing "proper", but it works.  None of this take a breath and swim fifty yards face-down stuff. 
      August 16, 2020 6:06 PM MDT

Ah I see. Hey at least you gave it your best go. It's not for everyone, we are all good at different things. At least you enjoy the water. You can still use a pool for enjoyment of course, lots of people just enjoy getting in, even if for the shallow end for relaxation and fun.

I took swim lessons as a boy when I was about 6 years of age, and at the very same pool I go to now as an adult. I became good at it, but no, I am not a professional swimmer by any means. Good enough for exercise and enjoyment.
      August 16, 2020 6:21 PM MDT

Thank you!

Yes, that swimming just for exercise and enjoyment is what I would like, too.

Some twenty years ago now I suppose, I sometimes needed to be part of a small team working away from base. In one place we stayed was a large leisure-centre with full-length pool, and while the others would happily swim full double lengths I noted the limit of my depth (by landmark, such a particular feature on the wall), and would just swim a few times back and forth in that.  

Once, on holiday with friends in France, some of us visited a local swimming-pool. I discovered it had no shallow end though, so could really only wallow around the ladder in the less-deep corner. 
      August 17, 2020 3:34 PM MDT

Like you, I was one of those instant sink-to-bottom-of-the-pool people when I took swimming lessons as a youngster. More than one instructor told me that I simply wasn’t buoyant.  Fast-forward to age 18 when I joined the Marine Corps. As a sea service, the inability to swim was unacceptable, and Drill Instructor are vastly different than YMCA swimming instructors. There’s something in the military called basis survival swimming; one doesn’t need to be an Olympic competitor, but being able to survive in a combat situation is a must. Survival swimming requires starting out in full gear, uniform, weapon, pack, helmet, etc. Getting rid of some of the gear is authorized so that its weight won’t drag you down or so that straps or other pieces of equipment don’t hinder arms, legs and breathing. Also, certain pieces of equipment can be turned into improvised floatation devices or paddling devices. Basic survival in the water means remaining afloat until rescue arrives or moving to ship/shore unassisted. It took me about five attempts at qualifying, but I finally did it. 

After boot camp, about six years into my service, the first instance of recalling on basic survival swimming came about when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan and my unit, a company of about 150 men, was on an amphibious training exercise. We had to simulate that the landing craft were hit by enemy fire or had mechanical failure and we had to bail out and attack from the water 200 meters out. My platoon (about fifty men) was divided up into groups of four to six men depending on swimming ability. Each smaller group had at least half its men who were strong swimmers. At a signal from the Navy coxswain, we went over the side and hit the water, oriented ourselves toward land and started moving. We all made it to shore, and it was a real eye-opener as far as how much more difficult it would have been if real enemy fire was coming in at the same time as all of that.
    ~

August 16, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

There is no way at al I could ever have been in any of the Services! I'd have been as useless to them as they would to me.

I have tested it several times, including in the swimming-lessons I took (see my reply to Nightwolf), and proved I cannot float.

I remember once reading quite a number of men drowned during the Normandy Landings, especially on D-Day itself, thanks to jumping in from landing-craft that had dropped their ramps too far out.

I have also a description in a book on an entirely different subject, of something you'd probably at least heard about, developed by the USAAF during the Korean War. I think it was called "drown-proofing", but entailed floating upright, a position that submerges you completely. By pushing down with our arms you come up for a breath, then relax again. Apparently you can survive for a long time like that - though of course that was in relatively warm tropical sea, not the North Atlantic, and it probably helped not to think of what sharks might be about, or that there were three miles of water below your toes.  
      August 16, 2020 6:18 PM MDT

I use to, but I no longer have access to a swimming pool.
      August 16, 2020 6:09 PM MDT

I took a semester-long synchronized swimming class in college. I was told I was the first male to ever take the class.
    I could argue it required possibly the toughest physical strength of anything I've physically done. I really enjoyed it all, though.
    Those synchronized swimmers make it all look so easy! :)

October 11, 2020 6:15 PM MDT