Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
my2cents
Randy D
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » Are you bilingual and if so, what languages do you speak? Have you ever used them?

Are you bilingual and if so, what languages do you speak? Have you ever used them?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

English, Canadian and a bit of Australian.
      August 9, 2020 12:26 PM MDT

!  !  !
    I see the "Merlin" language is NOT included in your list of communication.
    You are cheating yourself of your talents.
    HUGE HUGS and LOVES and Have Missed YOU!
    :) :)
    Please don't cringe on the Hugs.  They are glittering and gentle.
    ;) :)
    Darn! I have missed YOU!
      August 11, 2020 2:25 PM MDT

• I'm not bilingual, but I have been working on improving my Japanese lately. I would love to go to Japan and teach English. 
      August 9, 2020 1:34 PM MDT

Very Cool!!!
    That is a goal that ALL could benefit from.
    What about your family?  Won't they miss you?
    Thanks Nevan!
    :) :)
      August 11, 2020 2:26 PM MDT

Hmmm... I speak English and gibberish ... does that count as being bilingual?
      August 9, 2020 3:12 PM MDT

I have found you speak all languages but only in words that are important and translates beautifully.
    One and almost all of those translate into humor, coupled with intelligence.  
    Dogs and puppies have this talent.
    ;) :)
    Thanks Shuhak!
      August 11, 2020 2:28 PM MDT

Magsalita ako ng Tagalog, e hablo español.  I’m also learning English, but it’s coming along rather slowly. 
    ~

August 9, 2020 9:18 PM MDT

Merlin says in all languages...

Big Winks and Smiles!
      August 11, 2020 2:29 PM MDT

August 11, 2020 4:43 PM MDT

:D :D!!
      August 11, 2020 4:44 PM MDT

Now I know where your wife is from...as I suspected.
      August 11, 2020 5:08 PM MDT

English (Australian idiom) und ein bisschen Deutsch - aber ich bin nicht fliessend.

I can read Classical and Koine Greek and some Hebrew - but can't speak them.

I've used the German to help direct tourists.
      August 10, 2020 2:34 AM MDT

I took two years of American Sign Language and three years of German. I learned German back in high school and it never had any kind of practical application. My ex-husband was fluent and we'd speak in German when we didn't want my oldest to know what we were talking about. Sometimes, I still converse with my high school German teacher on Facebook. At the same time, I read Slarti's answer and saw "fliessend." I was thinking "fleiss" meant "meat" and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was trying to say. Sigh. "Fleisch" is meat. That's about how good my German is these days. lol

I never used my ASL either though I learned it more recently. I've already forgotten most of the words but I can still fingerspell (spell out the words using the sign for each letter), so there's that. I actually told my daughter to go take her shower the other night using ASL and she understood what I was saying even though she doesn't speak it. Suppose that's something too. Truth be told, I sat in on a couple ASL meet-and-greets here a while back- open meetings at a local coffee shop that Deaf signers attend to give hearing signers the opportunity to practice. I sat on the sidelines and watched like a creeper. I only understood maybe one in ten words, if that. I never got the courage to talk to anyone. 

What about you?
      August 10, 2020 8:09 PM MDT

"Ich bin nicht fliessen" - I am not fluent. Dipthong around the other way.
      August 10, 2020 11:20 PM MDT

I used Google translate to figure it out when I realized you weren't talking about meat. LMAO
      August 13, 2020 12:40 PM MDT

OH! OH! OH!!!!
    When I asked this question, this was the ONE I was going to bring to the table!!
    You are "The Most Amazing, WELL, I could go on with tons of wonderfuls, fantastics, well-beings, my mentor, my everiy thing that I wish I could be, would take pages and pages!!!
    EXACTLY!
    I already gave Randy D. askers pick, but had I not, you would have it.  He could have many askers pick on others.

Thank you.
    I have no words other than, 
    YOU GOT IT!!
    :) :)!!!!

August 11, 2020 2:37 PM MDT