Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Life-Changing Question 1: When liquid forms at the top of the sour cream, do you pour it off or mix it in?

Life-Changing Question 1: When liquid forms at the top of the sour cream, do you pour it off or mix it in?

Posted - August 16, 2020

Responses

Pour it off. 
      August 17, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

• Mix it. It's just liquid that has separated, it's nothing gross. 
      August 17, 2020 8:11 PM MDT

I use Daisy brand sour cream.

If I've already had one or more servings from the container and depending on how long I've had the sour cream itself (the date), I will just mix it in after I make sure it hasn't gone bad---see the link I posted: https://www.mashed.com/176429/why-does-sour-cream-get-watery/
      August 18, 2020 9:54 AM MDT

August 18, 2020 12:04 PM MDT

Back home on the farm in ancient times we would add sweetened chocolate to freshly soured milk; was a very refreshing slightly tart cold drink. Was known as 'koomies', now can't even find it on the Internet. 
      August 18, 2020 12:13 PM MDT

Bet that would go great with my pigs'-blood pancakes, you think?
      August 19, 2020 12:20 PM MDT

Yeah maybe, I never heard of pigs blood pancakes but it must be good stuff. I liked blood sausage but can't find that in the stores anymore. 
      August 19, 2020 12:27 PM MDT

Kidding of course---

I occasionally watch shows on the travel channel that deal with regional and unusual (to us) foods.  I think the pig's blood pancakes are a regular somewhere in the Northern European area---and I'm sure they are made in other areas as well.

I've never had anything made with pigs' blood.

pigs blood ice cream---Inspired by the Italian chocolate and blood combo called sanguinaccio dolce.

Amazon.com sells boudin noir  to that site and search for boudin noir

And the following link explains why it's not widely available---USDA regulations on use of blood in human food.

https://culinarylore.com/food-law:can-i-get-legal-blood-boudin/
      August 19, 2020 12:58 PM MDT