Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Important spider poll: when you find a spider in your house do you:

Important spider poll: when you find a spider in your house do you:

A) take it outside 
B) squish it
C) whack it 
D drown it in a tub of sour cream 
E) other 

Posted - August 17, 2020

Responses

E. Make a pet of it. I have actually done that with one of THESE (that's a POSSUM she's carrying ...)

This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 24, 2020 3:39 PM MDT
      August 18, 2020 4:45 PM MDT

I usually leave them be.

They are beneficial animals, certainly harmless to us. (I do live in a country whose native spiders are generally safe, but anyway would not bite except in defence.) 

I put those I evict in some sheltered spot outside, usually among vegetation, sometimes carrying them by their threads like a strange sort of living yo-yo, then draping the thread over a plant.

Most of them creating web-sites in my home and shed are those gangly Daddy-Long-Legs Spiders, whose prey can unfortunately include "House Spiders" - the big handsome Tegenaria-genus that grow to some 40-50mm long over their legs. Those ones  don't really like our cosy homes, which are a bit too dry and warm, but do sometimes wander, usually when looking for mates. They prefer something like a cellar or garden-shed -I assume in the wild they would live among rocks or in hollow trees.

I have once been bitten by a spider I was rescuing from within my work-place. I had managed to get it uninjured into my closed hand for putting outside, and it gave me quite sharp nip. It was a Woodlouse Spider though, and though small, they have powerful jaw parts capable of piercing the "armour plating" on the wood-lice that are their sole prey. I did not suffer any after-effects from the bite.   

So to your choices:

A) Yes.

B) and C) Kill it? Certainly not even though instant death!

D) Kill it? Certainly not, especially in a needlessly cruel way!

E) Other - Yes - Leave it alone.
      August 24, 2020 3:38 PM MDT