Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » How often do you clean your knick-knacks? Do you even have knick-knacks?

How often do you clean your knick-knacks? Do you even have knick-knacks?

I've been busily cleaning mine over the last couple of days. They were filthy! I confess I haven't cleaned them nearly as much as I should have, but have been so busy with working 2 jobs and studying as well. 

They look much nicer now and I have resolved to try to clean them more often, but I wonder how often most people clean theirs? 

Posted - August 25, 2020

Responses

I’m the same as you are on the frequency and of cleaning knick-knacks, but in all fairness, they’re not mine, they belong to my wife. I’ve noticed dust collecting on them and around them, I go on a madman cleaning spree every now and then. 

I’m amazed at how dust collects in indoor settings and on any man-made objects, but I’ve also found it in nature too, so I won’t obsess about trying to rid the planet of it completely. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 26, 2020 10:27 AM MDT
      August 25, 2020 2:19 PM MDT

How thoroughly I clean them depends on how easily accessible they are. I pass over things on high shelves with a Swiffer-type duster every couple of weeks and hope for the best. Things that are easier to reach get a bit more attention.
      August 25, 2020 3:45 PM MDT

“Things that are easier to reach get a bit more attention.”  

This sounds kind of dirty. I’m calling the police. 

:|

August 25, 2020 4:43 PM MDT

~
      August 25, 2020 4:47 PM MDT

I don't clean knick-knacks.
      August 25, 2020 4:47 PM MDT

Um, dare I ask why not? I shudder to think about the state of your knick-knacks!!
      August 26, 2020 9:43 AM MDT

I have very few knick-knacks anymore.  Fragile items and me don’t get along too well (if you know what I mean).  What few knick-knacks that are left are sitting on the mantle, far from my and the cat’s reach.   About once a year, I very carefully take them down and dust them (overtop of something soft like the sofa). After giving the mantle a vigorous scrubbing, I carefully put the remaining knick-knacks back... gritting my teeth and holding my breath as I do.

August 25, 2020 5:47 PM MDT

I only own and display things that I am willing to take care of and keep clean.
      August 25, 2020 6:44 PM MDT

That's probably a very wise approach. I have way too many knick-knacks, many given to me by my mother, or my kids.. It's hard to get rid of these... I wish I were either a) a clean-freak who simply loves to dust and polish things or b) better at parting with things of sentimental value that I don't actually need and which are horrendous dust traps
      August 26, 2020 9:45 AM MDT

I do not have that many. We have young grandkids and cats. 
    But it prob averages once a month. I just do it whenever I notice they need it.  No specifc schedule.  
    Growing up we had one day a week that was assigned to such jobs.
      August 25, 2020 7:13 PM MDT

See that's it.. I remember being made to help my mother polish the brass.. I don't remember hating doing it and they were always polished well. Now I have these items and they are hideously dull and I guess I feel guilty. As though I should have some kind of schedule and stick to it. 
      August 26, 2020 9:47 AM MDT

Not since I paddy-whacked and gave the dog a bone. I'm an old man, I went rolling home.
      August 25, 2020 9:38 PM MDT

If I want Knicks, I watch basketball. But what's a knack? Actually, I know a lady named Tiffany Knaack. Maybe I will ask her!
      August 26, 2020 9:51 AM MDT

oh dear,
    They're all covered in dust.
    But so is everything else
    OkOk i'll clean everything.
    You've inspired me...haha
      August 26, 2020 10:25 AM MDT