Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever had an experience that caused you to think about how you would have reacted, had said event/experience happened five, ten, or

Have you ever had an experience that caused you to think about how you would have reacted, had said event/experience happened five, ten, or

more years ago? 

#deepthougths by #sobersavvy

Posted - August 28, 2020

Responses

Yes, I’ve reflected on those types of “what ifs” many times in my life, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. 

For instance, I’ve been able to look back gratefully and think, “it’s good that my 20-year-old self didn’t run into that, because I was such a hothead that I would have landed myself a lot of trouble”.  

Conversely, I’ve also looked back regretfully and thought, “I wish I could have met her ten years ago” . . . 

How about you?
    ~

August 28, 2020 8:06 PM MDT

Reflecting about this, I'm pleasantly surprised by my evolved ability to not take many things as emotionally or as personally as I'm certain I would have even  a few, short years ago. 

Of course, I'm sure that part of this is due to my appropriately adjusted level of trust and faith in my fellow human beings. 

For the most part, I don't entertain regret. Other than regretting all the time and energy I wasted on regret. 
      August 28, 2020 8:45 PM MDT

Yes. I dwell on that kind of thing quite a bit. In my case, it's not at all healthy.
      August 28, 2020 8:56 PM MDT

Do you feel that you're devolving? Or, in other words, do you feel that your reaction to things that aren't terribly pleasant would have been better in the past than they are today? 

(Sorry if I'm mansplaining* this unnecessarily).

*Savvy's definition of mansplaining
      August 28, 2020 9:06 PM MDT

If I've learned anything, I won't be approaching situations like I usually do. The best thing is to stay cool, calm, and collected. That scares people the most. In any case, I hope I don't end up in the crazy house..........AGAIN!!!
      August 28, 2020 9:40 PM MDT

How others react is mostly inconsequential, isn't it? 

Hope you manage to stay out of the crazy house. (Unless you're wealthy and the crazy house is more like a spa). 

)
      August 29, 2020 7:14 AM MDT

Well, yes, 25-30 years ago I went home and my husband was not supposed to be there and his car wasn't in the drive and the kids were at camp.  So naturally, I expected no one to be home.  I walked into my bedroom to change and I saw a foot on the floor sticking out from behind the bed.  I fainted.  It was my husband.  He had put his car in the shop and they drove him home.  He thought it would be great fun to give me a fright. 

Much more recently I had another sudden fright and the same thing happened.  I'm great in an emergency and work well under pressure, but a sudden fright I seem to not be able to handle.  It's comforting to know that should I be in a plane headed toward the ground, I would just faint.
      August 28, 2020 9:00 PM MDT

I can think of more than a few experiences and events that would have more pleasant had I been unconscious! :)

Thanks for your reply. 

August 28, 2020 9:16 PM MDT

You mean like when I had that girl behind the bike sheds when I was fourteen, what if I had done it when I was four? Nah, shouldn't think so. Don't think I even knew how to ride a bike then. No, back when I was four I was out hunting Mammoth with my Dad, there was no time for thinking about girls. Many a randy daydreamer got himself squidged by a Mammoth you know - they used to warn us about it.   
      August 28, 2020 9:14 PM MDT

Not what I meant, but thanks for your reply! Good luck dodging randy daydreamers...and mammoths! 
      August 28, 2020 9:19 PM MDT

Yes.
      August 28, 2020 9:37 PM MDT

Nice surprises really are good, aren't they?
      August 29, 2020 7:17 AM MDT

Indeed.
      August 29, 2020 7:52 AM MDT

Ya and I am usally glad I don't react to things the way I  used  to. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 28, 2020 9:52 PM MDT

It's a nice feeling, isn't it? 

Happy weekend to you, too. 
      August 29, 2020 7:17 AM MDT