Discussion » Questions » answerMug » So day after day, we post all these questions and statements, each being an important thought in the moment, at least to the poster.

So day after day, we post all these questions and statements, each being an important thought in the moment, at least to the poster.

But they all eventually fade into the background of the past. Where do they go when we are finished with them?

Posted - September 1, 2020

Responses

Click on your name at the top and look at all of your activity. How fun is that?
      September 1, 2020 9:27 AM MDT

They go to fill a void in some remote part of the universe 
      September 1, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

September 1, 2020 10:05 AM MDT

I'm sure it is somehow preserved in either the universe's anthology of philosophy or its anthology of stupidity.
      September 1, 2020 11:23 AM MDT

You've heard of black holes?
      September 1, 2020 11:50 AM MDT

"But they all eventually fade into the background of the past."

That's the exact frustration I ran into back in the winter of 2009 when I first investigated Q&A websites.  A quick background: I was scheduled for a surgical procedure that in its aftermath would require several days of bedrest.  In addition to the books and crossword puzzles I had accumulated to tide me over while I'd be laid up, I thought it might be a nice diversion.

One of the ones I found was yahoo.answers.  I immediately noticed that only the most recently-posted questions over about a ten-minute period got any notice.  Questions older than ten minutes seemed to disappear into oblivion, regardless of whether or not anyone had answered them already.  In fact, those that did have answers were also soon shunted off to some don't-want-to-see-ya dystopia far beyond recognition.  The answers then fell down the same mysterious rabbit hole as the questions.  It didn't make much sense to me that if a valid, intelligent, interesting, funny, cool, weird, thought-provoking, heart-warming, valiant conversation had opened up, pushing it to the background was their idea of Q&A.  Joining it or merely following it was far beneath the hoity-toity types at yahoo.  If it ain't brand spankin' new, they didn't want it anything to do with it, and that included the people who looked at the website.

I moved on and eventually found AnswerBag.  I was relieved to find it, because one of its features was that questions stayed in the active queue much, much longer that Yahoo.answers.  Gradually over time, AnswerBag became glitchBag; it had so many errors and so many shutdowns/blackouts that it was shut down completely in 2014 or 2015.  After so many years, I was quite accustomed to its workings.

AnswerMug Bag was the next step I took. I had been spoiled by AnswerBag so deeply that it it was my Gold Standard by which or against which I measured all other such sites.  The same new-questions-only feature abounds here, but a lot of my old acquaintances and old friends from AnswerBag had migrated to it, and I couldn't stay away.

I know that the older posts still exist in the cavernous bowels of the website, and I've always had the opinion that the vast majority of posts on Q&A websites shouldn't have "expiration dates".  As such, I often revive some of them by scrolling through members' profiles, but it's an extremely tedious practice, and at least one member within the past week has playfully accused me of being a stalker.  If on AnswerMug there were some of the old-style features that AnswerBag had, dredging up older posts wouldn't be either a difficult or a weird process.  We all might join into it.

~
      September 1, 2020 3:53 PM MDT

I wondered why some of my old questions kept popping up.
      September 1, 2020 4:26 PM MDT

Playfully?  I'm looking for jobs in another country!!

September 1, 2020 8:53 PM MDT

You think that will make some kind of difference?  I have global reach, you know. 

~

September 2, 2020 6:20 AM MDT

You know I have dogs, right? 
      September 3, 2020 6:35 PM MDT

Of course I know that!  I’ve already planned for it too!

~

September 3, 2020 6:41 PM MDT

You're a sick man! 
      September 3, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

Meh, you say sick, I say crafty.  By the way, you’re not allergic to any particular fragrance of assorted massage oils, are you?  (I care about your health and well-being.)

~

September 3, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

Oh... was that meant to be a treat to distract my dogs? I thought that was supposed to BE one of my dogs!! 

More of an aversion than a true allergy; and not so much the oils, but the hands that might be applying them. 

That being said, if you want to send this guy, he can bring any oils he wishes... almond, coconut, olive, used motor.. whatevs.

September 3, 2020 7:36 PM MDT

Yes, the meat treat is just to pull the dogs off my scent, give them something more interesting to follow than ol’ Randolph. I’m not into hurting animals.
    ~

September 3, 2020 10:53 PM MDT

That's good. Although... do you eat animals?
      September 4, 2020 1:48 PM MDT

Yes, you have a point. Touché. Have you been vegan/vegetarian for your entire life?  (I admit that I’ve never fully understood the difference between the two.)
    ~

September 5, 2020 6:59 AM MDT

I was just messing with you. I'm not out to convert anyone, really. What and who you eat is your business! 

No, only about 1/10 of my life, I guess. True vegans don't eat or use anything that comes from animals (milk, eggs, honey, leather, etc.). I can do vegan for short periods, but I like cheese too much for that all the time. 
      September 5, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

I’ve been forgiven!

September 5, 2020 1:57 PM MDT

They're still there.

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/54/do-atheists-scream-oh-my-nothing-when-they-re-having-sex
      September 1, 2020 5:53 PM MDT

Cleveland
      September 1, 2020 11:03 PM MDT

• They return to the planet for recycling and are then implanted in the  minds of another life form.  Somewhere on this planet today a platypus is wanting to know what the best uses of a song in a movie are. Tomorrow a cicada will loudly be asking his friends where all of his timely musings go. 
      September 2, 2020 8:19 AM MDT

They get eaten by the Langoliers. 
      September 3, 2020 3:44 AM MDT