Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If and when a safe, effective vaccine for COVID-19 becomes available, are you going to get it? If so, do you think it should be mandatory?

If and when a safe, effective vaccine for COVID-19 becomes available, are you going to get it? If so, do you think it should be mandatory?

Posted - September 1, 2020

Responses

Asked and answered, Counselor.  This same line of questioning was posted here by another member about three weeks to a month ago.  (Jes' sayin'; don't kill the messenger.)
    ~
      September 1, 2020 6:25 PM MDT

I do not think it should be mandatory.
    ~
      September 1, 2020 6:26 PM MDT

I would take the vaccine but it shouldn't be mandatory -probably too much trouble trying to enforce it but people refusing should have to pay for their own treatment if. they get sick.
      September 1, 2020 7:56 PM MDT

I'm not a scientist, but I do wonder how, if it's released within the next few years, they'll prove its long-term safety. I won't be first in line for it, I'm pretty certain of that. 

If governments don't require vaccines for more lethal diseases, I don't see mandatory COVID vaccines making  sense. 
      September 1, 2020 8:46 PM MDT

Wait, you’re NOT a scientist?  The private investigator has been lying to me!  I wonder what else in the report is inaccurate?  I want my money back, I’ve been had!  Grrrrrrr.

:[

September 2, 2020 4:20 PM MDT

Ha Ha! 

Less money for you to spend on your precious tildes and sandwiches!

)
      September 3, 2020 6:54 PM MDT

Of course not.
      September 1, 2020 11:02 PM MDT

No. Anything released too soon could be harmful. There needs to be a study time to see if the vaccine causes any adverse or permanent side effects. 
      September 2, 2020 1:58 AM MDT

Like voting, nothing like that should be mandatory. Making things like that mandatory is the government overstepping in a free country.
      September 2, 2020 2:45 AM MDT

How about the freedom of other people to not get sick and die? Perhaps it should be a prerequisite for visiting elderly relatives (in care or not), or hospitals?
    In Australia, up-to-date vaccinations are a prerequisite for children going to school, kindergarten or daycare - unvaccinated kids must be home schooled. It's also required for welfare - no jab, no pay (vaccinations are free).
      September 2, 2020 2:52 AM MDT

Perhaps, but nothing is ever that simple or black and white. Vaccinations for kids to attend school are one thing, but making a vaccine not proven safe mandatory is quite another.
      September 2, 2020 3:36 AM MDT

The premise that Slart laid out in his question already includes the condition that it is safe. 

~

September 2, 2020 7:34 AM MDT

Interesting.
      September 2, 2020 3:57 PM MDT

Assuming that it is proven safe and effective, yes, I will get it. However, I don't think the government should make it mandatory. There may be regulations in the private sector which I think are fair. For example, my hospital volunteer job requires and annual flu shot or mandatory training. I have no idea what the training is - I get my shot.
      September 2, 2020 4:24 AM MDT

(and an annual flu shot)

September 2, 2020 5:36 AM MDT

It will take a lot longer than 4-6 months to declare a COVID vaccine "safe."  If it is available to people who are in critical condition and they want to take it, fine, or if there are people willing to take it, great - but I don't plan on being a guinea pig.  I have never even had a flu shot and the last time I had the flu was about 50 years ago.  When I hear that the flu shot is only sometimes less than 30% effective, you can bet I'm not going to be getting it.  I'll take my chances with the immune system I've spent almost 75 years cultivating.
      September 2, 2020 6:37 AM MDT

No, I will not be getting it.  They can test is on other people.  

No it should not be mandatory.  If someone wants it or has health conditions that make them more likely to die from SARS2.  Then I would recommend they get it. But even then it should not be mandatory.   

My Mom has several underlining medical issues that make her at risk for serious reaction from the disease.  I would hope she would take the vaccine.  But it should still be her choice. 

Everyone has the right to decide what they feel is best for their health/life. 
      September 2, 2020 4:13 PM MDT