Active Now

Spunky
Stu Spelling Bee
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Discussion on a radio show: pet owners, would you or do you use any of your regular dishes or utensils for your pet(s)?

Discussion on a radio show: pet owners, would you or do you use any of your regular dishes or utensils for your pet(s)?

A woman walked in one day to see her husband or boyfriend (I can‘t remember which) sitting at the dining table eating breakfast with his dog sitting in a chair next to him, the dog was eating dog food out of one of their cereal bowls. 

The discussion centered around whether or not you’d use dishes or utensils from the regular rotation of kitchen items that your family eats off of for your pets’ use.
~

Posted - September 2, 2020

Responses

Myself and my cat 'Greyhound' share our germs alla time. He eats off my plate then I exchange it for a clean one every day. I just rinse my dishes,  never bother with soap. When he comes for his daily treat -a spoonful of plain yogurt I just dump the amount he leaves back into the container. 
      September 2, 2020 8:35 AM MDT

Note to self about accepting dinner invitations at Kit’s place . . . 

:|

September 2, 2020 10:51 AM MDT

We'll be having a marshmallow roast later this month in the backyard. Drop by if you are in the area!
      September 2, 2020 11:57 AM MDT

Thank you!  (Randy D packs up the family and moves to an isolated village in the jungles of Myanmar, leaving no forwarding address and never to be heard from again.)
    ~

September 2, 2020 2:55 PM MDT

A spoon for the cat's tuna.
      September 2, 2020 8:51 AM MDT

My cats eat their morning and evening "fish" out of my Corelle dessert bowls.
    The dog and cats water bowl is one of my stainless steel mixing bowls.
    My elderly cats’ food dishes are my melamine bowls.  He sits on a kitchen chair and eats his cat food out of the bowls which sit on the table (the position helps his arthritis).
    My dog helps me clean the dishes each night by licking the dishes, pans and silverware that are on the bottom rack of the dishwasher (the cats just supervise).
    When they think I’m not looking, the cats will occasionally help themselves to some of my dinner, especially if there’s chicken in it (they won’t touch squash).  The dog always asks first.

September 2, 2020 12:22 PM MDT

You have one (only ONE) apostrophe out of place, otherwise, this is very well written. I can’t stick around, however, because as I indicated above, Myanmar awaits me. Bye!
    ~

September 2, 2020 2:58 PM MDT

Does that mean I get a B+ or an A-?
      September 2, 2020 4:48 PM MDT

Sorry, but I get terrible internet connection here in the jungles of Myanmar, you’re coming in all garbled, so please write to me snail mail. The old codger who walks the nail mail up this mountain stops by every ten to twelve days, I’ll have to get back to you as soon as I can.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 2, 2020 5:17 PM MDT
      September 2, 2020 4:59 PM MDT

Wait a minute... snails can't get mail.  They can't even read!   You know, I bet you're just saying you're in Myanmar because you forgot to mow your lawn again.  Get off the internet, get out the weed-wacker and go to work!  (incidentally, that's not a mountain, it's a pile of empty beer cans.)
      September 2, 2020 5:07 PM MDT

Randolph D and family; 
      Fifteenth Palm Tree from the Large Rock by the River;
    Faraway Village on Dirt Path;
    Desolation Peak, Triple Jungle Canopy
    Myanmar
    Latitude and Longitude 22° 0' 0" N/96° 0' 0" E.: MM ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 code: MMR Continent: Asia.
    ~

September 2, 2020 5:23 PM MDT

I'll take that as a 'yes'.
      September 2, 2020 5:37 PM MDT

You earned an A+. (That lone error is inconsequential.)
    ~

September 2, 2020 5:39 PM MDT

Woo-hoo!  
      September 2, 2020 5:45 PM MDT

nail...mail
      September 2, 2020 5:11 PM MDT

No. Just no. 
      September 2, 2020 12:46 PM MDT

I remember reading online some years ago that dishes used for human food should not be used to serve food to pets.

A number of sites online strongly recommended against doing so, but never quite managed to clearly state why such a practice was inherently dangerous.

Our dogs have their own bowls, but occasionally they may get a plate to lick.

I have never discovered a problem reasonably related to such activity; and I cannot imagine that proper washing and cleaning of any dishes or utensils in question would fail to sufficiently clean the items used.
      September 2, 2020 1:11 PM MDT

I have no pets, but I see dog owners allowing their dogs to lick their (the owners) faces and both cat and dog owners touch their pets and then eat without sterilizing their hands. These practices are worse than using a dish that is presumably washed thoroughly between uses. I think it's clear why I don't have pets.
      September 2, 2020 4:46 PM MDT

I use a regular spoon to dish it up, otherwise no. Each of them has their own bowl, the cats are particular about it. The dogs don't care. The spoon just gets washed along with the rest of the cutlery.
      September 2, 2020 5:06 PM MDT

I wouldn't no. Pets get their own food and water bowls, not my eating plates and utensils. Health and sanitary reasons on my end.
      September 2, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

(I wouldn't, no.)  

Or

(I wouldn't no know.)
      September 2, 2020 10:42 PM MDT

All twelve of my sharp-toothed, well-trained attack dogs have their own dishes. 
      September 3, 2020 7:44 PM MDT

Gee, if that wasn’t such a blatant message, it could have been subtly subliminal!
      September 3, 2020 11:09 PM MDT