Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What's the cure for the perpetual Eeyores of the world?

What's the cure for the perpetual Eeyores of the world?

Posted - July 2, 2016

Responses

• Well, I have a donkey called Eyeore.

She's particularly happy being free and eating grass.

I think this is a good recipe for the happiness of all Eeyores.

July 2, 2016 3:15 AM MDT

• I don't believe there's any. I truly, and honestly don't believe theres a cure for that.

July 2, 2016 8:17 AM MDT

• Grass, of course!! Wait a minute, what kind of "grass" are you talking about?

July 2, 2016 8:19 AM MDT

I am a social worker and have a client that often gets in these sorts of "moods." I like to try to pull her out of it with humor. One day invented what I call "The Hate Game." I asked her to go down the alphabet and list one thing she hates for every letter. She was surprised at my suggestion, but jumped on it! By the time she was halfway through the game she was laughing and in a MUCH better mood.

July 2, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

lol @ both of you.

July 2, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

You could be right.

July 2, 2016 1:15 PM MDT

lol I LOVE that! I'm going to steal it, if you don't mind.

July 2, 2016 1:15 PM MDT

What is that thing-- a depressed jackass?  I never read Winnie the Poo, that was my daughter's favorite but I never read it myself.   She is depressed, by the way, but takes meds.

They need to get some counseling.  They need a PUSH to see why. 

July 2, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

July 2, 2016 1:26 PM MDT

By all means! : )(

July 2, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

• It was one of my rare attempts at a joke.

I might get better at it if I dared practise more often.

I think what I really meant is that each being must follow its nature.

The Eeyores of the world strike me as living with permanent depression.

I had a recent encounter with a fellow in the local village, the owner of a bookshop, 40 something, a competent guitarist and singer with aspirations to write. Something in his mopey, pessimistic manner and the quality of his speaking voice led me to dub him "Eeyore" in my mind. My hubby agreed. I struggled to create writing exchanges with him for a year. Finally, I had to acknowledge it was never going to happen. It's tempting to imagine that perhaps melancholy is his comfort zone, misery is his land of freedom, and negative thoughts the field he grazes for food.

July 3, 2016 9:39 AM MDT