Discussion » Questions » Politics » Shouldn’t ALL of the presidential election ballots across the US contain the exact same candidates from which to choose?

Shouldn’t ALL of the presidential election ballots across the US contain the exact same candidates from which to choose?

I posted a question this morning stating that Kanye West is listed on my 2020 general presidential election ballot as a candidate for the vice presidency under the American Independent Party. Another member here read my question and in her answer, she stated that West was not on her ballot. (I do not know in which city and state she lives; I am in Southern California.)

This difference in ballots brings up an issue of vote-splitting, or of depriving one candidate of potential votes and potential vote percentages because a certain number of voters will be able to choose a candidate that other voters cannot choose. I am well aware that each state and/or separate jurisdiction of registrars has its own rules and regulations for a candidate getting on a ballot, which includes time constraints by which they must file.  Even with those differences in mind, the final analysis on Election Day should come down to the same choices being presented to all voters, correct?

It just seems strange that one set of ballots in one jurisdiction differs from another set of ballots in another jurisdiction, how can the system be deemed fair and transparent?

CAVEAT: I am not referring to differences of ballot choices for state or local candidates/measures/propositions, etc., this is specifically about the presidential and vice presidential election.

This is the original question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/117106/are-we-living-in-the-twilight-zone-kanye-west-is-actually-named

~

Posted - October 6, 2020

Responses

I think that would be ideal, yes. 

No one who has to be written in anywhere has any chance of winning. My guess is it's an issue of states' rights regarding election laws and requirements? 

October 6, 2020 5:38 PM MDT

Yes, possibly. It still seems to put the efficiency and accuracy of an election on its ear.
    ~
      October 6, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

Well, that, among other things seem to do that! 

Who is the presidential candidate listed for that party? (My ballot was Kanye-free). 

October 6, 2020 5:49 PM MDT

Roque “Rocky” de la Fuente-Guerra.
    ~

October 6, 2020 6:09 PM MDT

Ideally. But there are requirements and deadlines to meet those requirements and they very from state to state. 
    We do not have one national election. We have 51 statewide elections.  And it should stay that way. 
      October 6, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

I see your points. 

~

October 6, 2020 6:27 PM MDT

The Westminster system used in Australia and the UK doesn't work that way. You vote for the local candidate (our MP used to be the mayor before he switched from local to national politics), the leader of the party or coalition with the most seats becomes Prime Minister. In a situation where no party has a clear majority in the House of Representatives (as happened in Australia in 2010, the UK in 2017), the parliament is said to be "hung" and both major parties must negotiate with the crossbench (minor party MPs) for one or the other to form a minority government.
    This tends to eliminate the popular vote being overturned. Can still happen, the losing party can return massive majorities in safe seats but lose the marginals (similar to a tennis match going 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 1-6, 7-5 - the winner winning fewer games but more sets), but it's less likely.
      October 7, 2020 9:42 PM MDT

~

October 8, 2020 2:32 AM MDT

We don't vote for the Prime Minister directly, but for the local representative of his or her party. Means that if he or she is a criminal, parliament can boot him or her without messing around with "impeachment".
      October 8, 2020 3:10 AM MDT

How many times has “booting out” taken place?
    ~

October 8, 2020 3:27 AM MDT

Four times in the last eleven years - not for criminal matters, but because their party decided the leader had become an electoral liability.
      October 8, 2020 4:18 AM MDT

Wow, I see!
    ~
      October 8, 2020 6:59 AM MDT