Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What is your best story about a troublesome neighbor?

What is your best story about a troublesome neighbor?

Posted - October 8, 2020

Responses

I really can’t think of one, I’ve never had a problem with a neighbour. Maybe that means I’m the troublesome one. 
      October 8, 2020 1:08 PM MDT

• You probably are. Too disruptive with all your dancing in the kitchen while you clean. 
      October 8, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

The sound of me overly  enthusiastically reorganizing my kitchen cupboards on Saturday nights. Neighbours just jealous of all my fun.  
      October 8, 2020 1:45 PM MDT

• I'm jealous  :(  I want in on that fun.  
      October 8, 2020 2:20 PM MDT

I also have never had a troublesome neighbor.  I have not had that many neighbors.  For most of my life my neighbors were far far away...

The closest we have to that is a neighbors dog used to use our yard to poop and the neighbor never bother to pick it up.  Rather than fight with them over it. We bought sprinklers that were motion activated.  It worked and no one had to say a word. 
      October 8, 2020 1:45 PM MDT

• Haha that was a pretty good idea. 
      October 8, 2020 2:19 PM MDT

In an apartment house we lived in on a Navy base, two neighbors shoveled their snow into my parking space after a bad snowstorm while we were away for a few days. I knocked on their doors and they refused to help us shovel it. It took us four hours to clear our space. They were henceforth personae non gratae.
      October 8, 2020 2:33 PM MDT

• Yea that's quite the douche bag move.  I think if it was me they would have found that snow pile at their front doorstep, lol. 
      October 8, 2020 2:35 PM MDT

Odd you should say that. A friend of mine lived in the next building. His wife slipped on the douche-bag's sidewalk and injured herself. He hadn't shoveled it. Joe, my friend, piled snow in front of his door.
      October 8, 2020 5:00 PM MDT

I've got quite a few of those!

The one that really stands out was a neighbor who had children about the same age as mine, both boys.  I It would seem ideal, except there was something very wrong with those children, behaviorally. I was warned to watch very closely if I was brave (or, in my case soft-hearted towards children) enough to allow my boys to play with them at all (this was highly discouraged by more than one neighbor). I watched very closely and I didn't even need to be the one who said they couldn't play anymore. My boys were just starting school and and it didn't take them long at all to say they didn't want to play with those two anymore. 

Yeah, I've thought about those boys a few times over the years. They didn't have any stability in their home life and genetics were obviously not kind to them either. :(

October 8, 2020 5:29 PM MDT

• That's tough.  My own kids play with kids in our neighborhood and there is one girl that I just don't like them being around because she has had all kinds of issues and said some pretty crazy stuff for a 9 year old.  Plus her mom is an absolute lunatic. 
      October 9, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

Yeah, I felt terrible for those kids, but I definitely didn't want mine around them. It's hard, because I strived to teach my children to be a friend to everyone, but there are limits. 
      October 9, 2020 9:21 PM MDT

I'm a firm believer in good fences make good neighbors. 
      October 8, 2020 6:21 PM MDT

• You are correct.

October 9, 2020 6:57 AM MDT

I uprooted my entire life, packed all my things and went to cold, frozen Minnesota just to move in next door to the woman I love lust after, only to have her accuse me of stalking, file numerous restraining orders against me, continually call the police on me, change her locks whenever I figured out how to overcome them, destroy all the cameras and microphones I managed to install in her place, spray me with Mace, etc.
      Eventually, I had to return to Southern California, but the intense cauldron of lust that I harbor for her has never died down. I shall try again (as soon as the statute of limitations expires).  Grrrrr.

October 9, 2020 8:15 AM MDT

There was this guy who moved from California just to harass me. I did everything I could to politely discourage him, including shoveling all the snow from my parking space into his. It didn't faze him. Finally I got a restraining order that required him to stay 2000 miles away. I can only hope he gets distracted by that other woman in Canada before the order expires.

October 9, 2020 10:22 PM MDT

The Canadian woman wasn’t very receptive either. Did you know that instead of a guard dog, a Canadian uses a guard moose?  I didn’t know it until I had one chasing me through a snowdrift and into a freezing cold river. That’s all behind me now, lesson learned. 

I realize where I’ve erred. You cold-weather women need a man like me, but in my climate, sunny Southern California, not the frigid north. Move down here on a trial basis, let’s say ten to fifteen years, and if your feelings for me haven’t warmed up by then, we‘ll work something else out. 

~

October 9, 2020 10:40 PM MDT

. . . anyway, his family and we neighbors are finally free of him, the gators got a free meal - so what's the problem? 
      October 28, 2020 7:28 AM MDT