Discussion » Questions » Communication » How often do you use your 'probably smarter than you' phone?

How often do you use your 'probably smarter than you' phone?

Posted - October 19, 2020

Responses

I don’t have one.  I am much more intelligent than my phone. 

(I believe.)
    ~

October 19, 2020 4:00 PM MDT

#metoo
      October 19, 2020 6:06 PM MDT

I use my 'smartphone'  many times a day. 
    I am not really impressed with its 'smarts'.
      October 19, 2020 6:59 PM MDT

Just about every waking hour.
      October 19, 2020 8:36 PM MDT

Much more of late I do, along with the new google home system it is a godsend to people who can't get around very well AND I can turn my son's music down or check if any lights have been left on, awesome!
      October 20, 2020 3:13 AM MDT

All the time. 
      October 21, 2020 8:08 PM MDT

Never!

For one thing such an instrument is not smart except in the true meaning of the word, however sophisticated its electronics and programming.

I had one, an LG2017, but it "out-smarted" me by it being so difficult and clumsy to use, it defeated not only me but also its own, primary purpose. I missed calls because despite left messages or call notifications, it had no clear, definite way to retrieve these or make return calls, and came without instructions. I paid off the remaining 18 months of the 2-year contract that was basically a waste of money, and sold it.

The contract was about £120 a year. As I make most of my 'phone calls by land-line on a broadband service with free evening and weekend calls, my portable telephone on PAYG costs me perhaps £40 a year. This 'phone, a DORO, is 3g-rated and theoretically can be connected to the Internet, though not practically as the display area is only 60mm high X 45mm wide.  

The LG was, well, "smart-'phone" sized, angular, clumsy and quite heavy - overcoat-pocket sized. The DORO, when closed, is trouser-pocket sized at only 105 X 55 X 18mm maximum, of rounded form; and lightweight.  (The display area of the PC monitor on which I typed this, measures 400mm wide X 255mm high.)

There is more to having a portable telephone than what an individual make and model, or service-provider, can or cannot do. You need ignore the advertising waffle, ignore fashion especially that pushing you to throw it away and buy new annually; and instead consider its real value to you by purpose as well as cost, and the ease and convenience of its applications you genuinely need.  
    X
      November 10, 2020 2:41 AM MST

Excellent. I have a flip phone that I only use when I go shopping. The rest of the time it is turned off...about 95%. 
      November 10, 2020 2:49 PM MST