Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What is something you know even though it’s none of your business? (Example below.)

What is something you know even though it’s none of your business? (Example below.)

Years and years ago, I asked my wife to stop telling things about her friends’ and coworkers’ private lives.  She used to rattle off little tidbits to me such as, “X1 lost $12,000 in a telemarketer’s scam” or “Even though X2’s husband never takes his blood pressure medicine, his health has actually improved” or “X3 found out her son was taking drugs so she and her husband sent the boy to rehab, you should see how much it’s driving them crazy” or “I can’t believe that X4 can fit into her daughter’s clothes, she dresses like a teenager” or “X5 owns property in Alaska and showed me a picture of it today, the paint is the ugliest color I’ve ever seen and it’s chipping, too”, etc. Yawn!

I would ask her, “Why do I need to know that?”  It got to the point that I finally put my foot down.  I told her that I didn’t want to know anything about anyone’s private life or private affairs, especially when there was absolutely no reason I needed to have the information. It worked for the most part; nowadays when she forgets and starts one of her stories, I ask her, “Wait a second, is it something that I truthfully and actually need to know?”  

Life is sooooooooo much more peaceful now. 

~

Posted - October 25, 2020

Responses

It sounds like she was attempting to make casual conversation with her husband. On the other hand, she might have a problem gossiping. 

I know many things that aren't my business, many of them I'd prefer not to know. 
      October 25, 2020 7:38 PM MDT

Well, for my part, I know many things that aren't my business, many of them I'd prefer not to know.  I don’t care to know even more of them.  Besides, if gossiping is wrong, there are zillions of non-gossip tidbits that she can discuss with her husband.
    ~

October 25, 2020 10:20 PM MDT

Oh gosh.  Just look at Facebook.  People have no idea what is appropriate to share and what isn't. I tell one guy that I've known since I was about six that he is sharing too much.....I don't want to know that.    
      October 25, 2020 7:58 PM MDT

That’s one of the many reasons I’ve never had a FaceBook account. 

~

October 25, 2020 10:21 PM MDT

I heard from someone that there is a guy living  in one of the units in this building who is such a slob housekeeper that his place should be condemned unfit for human habitation.
      October 25, 2020 10:04 PM MDT

That could very well be your business. Shared walls = shared pest infestation! Yikes!!
      October 26, 2020 5:22 PM MDT

October 26, 2020 6:03 PM MDT

Yes, some units are known to be infested with cockroaches and mice.
      October 26, 2020 8:01 PM MDT

Hope you can move somewhere less HELL NO, friend! 
      October 28, 2020 6:19 PM MDT

INSANITY slashed across an old family medical record chart.
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at October 28, 2020 11:06 AM MDT
      October 28, 2020 9:31 AM MDT