Discussion » Questions » Politics » So how do you feel about Court Packing? Dems and Biden are supporting it.

So how do you feel about Court Packing? Dems and Biden are supporting it.

Adding Supreme Court Justices to the court. 

Posted - October 27, 2020

Responses

Gotta do what has to be done
    To fight against Trumps Corruption.
    They might not even get the chance to reestablish Democracy,
    because Trump has no plans to ever leave office.
    He is cementing his Dictatorship through his Corruption.
    Doesn't care about Democracy, doesn't care about anything
    except maintaining power. People be dammed, justice be dammed,
    as long as he maintains control. He is pushing America into the dark ages.
    And the people follow blindly. He is a pathetic excuse for a human being.

October 27, 2020 8:28 AM MDT

If Trump looses he will leave...

So because the rules did not get the result you wanted....you think we should just change the rules?  

Just remember the reason Amy Conney Barrett is now Justice ACB is because the Dems changed the rules last time they were in charge.  No party will be in charge forever. And the rule changes will have an effect.   

Funny the left calls Trump a fascist dictator and someone usurping our Constitution but it is the Dems who want to pack the court, allow minors to vote, eliminate the Electoral College and the filibuster, cancel anyone who disagrees with them. 
      October 27, 2020 11:11 AM MDT

:)
      October 27, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

I don’t have a feeling about it at all. I have thoughts, beliefs, ideas and opinions about it, but I don’t have an emotion that I would assign to it.
    ~

October 27, 2020 8:33 AM MDT

So what are your thoughts about it?

October 27, 2020 10:58 AM MDT

I think that as usual, it’s yet another example that actions taken by one of the two major political parties here in the US are of course lionized by that party’s proponents and demonized by that party’s detractors. Both conservatives and liberals want to see the scales top tip in their respective favor, I don’t think either one wants a middle-of-the-road outcome in Supreme Court decision-making. As such, there is theoretically no end to the one-upmanship that could take place by both parties/ideologies adding more and more associate justices to the Supreme Court when it is their turn at bat.

I also think that the issue is thought-provoking in that I for one learned things I didn’t know, such as there is nothing that states the number of justices must remain at nine. If I learned something new, many other people are probably learning too. Additionally, with this topic being so current and ripe, a lot of new discussion is carrying on about the Supreme Court, its history, its functions, its use and misuse, the misconceptions about it, etc.  Particularly apparent is the assumption that some people seem to have of the Supreme Court as a legislative body, which is almost laughable in its implausibility. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at October 27, 2020 2:08 PM MDT
      October 27, 2020 11:57 AM MDT

Correct the Constitution does not state the number of Justices.  In fact the original SCOTUS had 6 Justices.  We have had 9 since 1869. This post was edited by my2cents at October 27, 2020 12:42 PM MDT
      October 27, 2020 12:04 PM MDT

I personally don't like the idea. Just leave the number of Justices at 9. Packing the courts would not only further destabilize the Judicial Branch of the government but it would also further destabilize the other two Branches. Which is something some politicians would love to see happen.
      October 27, 2020 12:40 PM MDT

I agree. I heard one Congressman who proposed a bill where any changes like adding/reducing Justices, rule changes (changing vote requirements, eliminating filibuster) etc if passed would be required to have a 10 yr wait before they went into effect.  This would prevent the party in power from passing something based on simple emotion as they would not be certain which party would be in power at the time.  I would favor this bill. 
      October 27, 2020 12:54 PM MDT

The Supreme Court should stay a nine-justice court.  Trump has appointed many many judges to the District and Circuit courts.  Many openings were there but Obama failed to handle it.  That is something I'm still scratching my head about.  Pelosi said that if Harris wins she would try to pack the District Courts.  There are 59 vacancies right now out of 890 Federal judicial positions. 
      October 27, 2020 10:26 PM MDT

I am surprised there are still 59 vacancies. I know McConnell has been steady working on filling those. 
      October 28, 2020 6:27 AM MDT