Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » What is the best type of question to ask on a site like this which does not lead to an argument?
Bez

What is the best type of question to ask on a site like this which does not lead to an argument?

I have noticed that no matter what the topic of a question may be, there always has to be an argument about it and I would rather avoid that. Any suggestions?

Posted - July 2, 2016

Responses

• Bez

I don't understand why some people don't adhere to what they claim either. If I decided something was right in 1969 I will still continue to say it is right if I am still alive in 2069. I have never seen any reason to thrive on conflict and only thoroughbred trolls actually do thrive on it. As for claiming to desire a united group of civil individuals and actively pursuing the exact opposite, that's even weirder, that's Jekyll-and-Hyde split-personality behaviour, and I really have no time for that.

Bottom line, I am a very fixed person with very fixed ideas and beliefs. Now, I don't expect everybody to have the same ideas and beliefs as mine, but I do expect people to be equally as fixed in their ways as I am in mine, to state their own views in a civilised manner and refrain from arguing or being cocky about it. I can't see how that would fail to contribute to a peaceful co-existence and at the same time keep the status quo as unchanged as humanly possible. Can there be a more worthy goal than that?

July 6, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

Oh, I wasn't insinuating that you do this, only that I've actually seen it with some people. I don't understand it either. The most we can do is hope people self-moderate, but it seems some won't regardless of attempts to appease, you know?

Peaceful coexistence is most certainly a worthy goal :)

July 6, 2016 6:29 PM MDT

• :)

July 9, 2016 5:16 AM MDT

• What would you do if you won Lotto?

If you could start over again, knowing what you know now, what choices would you make?

What's your most eccentric or unusual habit?

Who has influenced you most in your life? How and why?

You get the gist... the questions are personal, open,

and don't set up a position that could invite a tussle.

July 9, 2016 5:24 AM MDT
  • Bez

Good suggestions, hartfire. I think we've already had "What would you do if you won Lotto?".

July 9, 2016 6:48 AM MDT