Discussion » Questions » answerMug » What is the best type of question to ask on a site like this which does not lead to an argument?
Bez

What is the best type of question to ask on a site like this which does not lead to an argument?

I have noticed that no matter what the topic of a question may be, there always has to be an argument about it and I would rather avoid that. Any suggestions?

Posted - July 2, 2016

Responses

What is your favorite color?
      July 2, 2016 4:44 AM MDT

Idealistically we should be able to handle disagreements. Without any disagreement forums are fake, with people nodding to any platitude.

July 2, 2016 4:46 AM MDT

• I don't argue. What's your problem? It is this type of questioning that leads to arguments. I don't understand why they don't delete this question, yet they delete my questions. UNFAIR! I'm going to another site. BLAH!

July 2, 2016 4:48 AM MDT

Avoiding arguments is like avoiding life itself

July 2, 2016 5:44 AM MDT
  • Bez

ROFL

July 2, 2016 5:47 AM MDT
  • Bez

It needn't be.

July 2, 2016 5:47 AM MDT
  • Bez

I know different people have different ideas and opinions, but that isn't an excuse to argue. Forums (or should it be fora?) needn't be fake either. Why not have a forum where all the participants have opinion A and can discuss it together, and another forum where all the participants have opinion B and can discuss it together, and so on. If anyone finds that they don't fit comfortably into any of these categories they can always start another forum where all the participants agree with them. Isn't that a logical solution?

July 2, 2016 5:52 AM MDT

Questions of how we feel: "how are you?" This one will be hard to argue about. And I do agree with you, too much no hold arguing a where neither of us listens to the other.
      July 2, 2016 6:02 AM MDT
  • Bez

July 2, 2016 6:11 AM MDT
  • Bez

Good one. :)

July 2, 2016 6:11 AM MDT

• There isn't one Andy, sorry.  :)

People are going to disagree on almost everything for one reason or another.  It doesn't have to lead to an argument though, that's just dependant on how people disagree.  It is possible to do so without an angry exchange but you can't make people want to do that.

July 2, 2016 6:12 AM MDT

•   July 2, 2016 6:12 AM MDT

I would not wish to participate in a forum where everyone is parroting the same thing.  It is those I disagree with that I learn from.  Sometimes because they make me see things from a different perspective, perhaps one I had never even thought about.  Other times because of links they post to support their stance or things I find when researching to support my own.  Every now and again, I find I have to rethink something.  A greater understanding can result from disagreement. 

July 2, 2016 6:34 AM MDT

People can discuss and get a bit emotional without starting a war. The interest of forums-- or fora, you can say both, is meeting people with different opinions, to know where they come from, and if they have any valid argument worth listening to.

July 2, 2016 6:35 AM MDT
  • Bez

I don't recall learning from people who disagree with me. Those I have learned from I neither agreed nor disagreed with before I learned from them. If I ever do rethink something it is because of my own personal experiences or observations rather than what someone else has said to me in the hopes of changing my mind. Generally speaking though, I find it easier to make more friends when they are parroting the same thing. It's kind of like birds of a feather flocking together. Lol:)

July 2, 2016 6:51 AM MDT
  • Bez

I'm perfectly willing to listen to another person's point of view so that I know where they are coming from, but that isn't the same thing as arguing. Some people aren't willing to listen to another's point of view, they just want everyone to agree with them and they won't be happy until they have succeeded in converting the whole world to their own opinions. What makes people like that, and why do they have to join websites like this one?

July 2, 2016 6:54 AM MDT

manUnited suck ?

July 2, 2016 7:11 AM MDT
  • Bez

Why would people want to argue? That's the part I don't understand.

July 2, 2016 7:15 AM MDT
  • Bez

That's a matter of opinion and I don't care either way because I don't follow football. I've had more entertainment from going to the dentist than watching any football team whatsoever. Lol:)

July 2, 2016 7:16 AM MDT

:-)
      July 2, 2016 7:19 AM MDT

I disagree . . .

:)
      July 2, 2016 7:44 AM MDT

That never happens with any of my questions, answers or comments; everyone always agrees with anything and everything I write on here.
    ~
      July 2, 2016 7:46 AM MDT

• I disagree with that, and there's no need to be such a pompous donkey about it either!! Hmph! :) heehee.... 

July 2, 2016 7:48 AM MDT

You are full of it RD.

July 2, 2016 7:51 AM MDT