Discussion » Questions » answerMug » What is the best type of question to ask on a site like this which does not lead to an argument?
Bez

What is the best type of question to ask on a site like this which does not lead to an argument?

I have noticed that no matter what the topic of a question may be, there always has to be an argument about it and I would rather avoid that. Any suggestions?

Posted - July 2, 2016

Responses

You're wrong, all wrong.
    :)
      July 2, 2016 7:52 AM MDT

• Very good question, Andy. It seems that no matter how innocent a question can be, someone will want to start an argument about it. I love a good debate, but not so much an argument. Some people are not able to state their views on something without being rude or argumentative about it. When they get like that, I tune them out and ignore them the best I can. 

What is Andy's first name?

Horse crap.

Capitalization is a must.

July 2, 2016 7:53 AM MDT
  • Bez

That is my first name. Lol:)

July 2, 2016 7:54 AM MDT

It's fun.

July 2, 2016 7:54 AM MDT

It is not that I am swayed by someone's argument, Andy.  Sometimes facts are presented that prove something to be false.  Other times I learn things while doing my own research after something said piqued my curiosity.  Yet other times I see things presented from a different viewpoint...that may not change my position, and usually does not, but it offers me a broader perspective.  

Most people do choose friends who are "birds of a feather".  Some of us like a bit more variety, though.  I suppose it all depends on why someone chooses to join a site such as this.  If it is just to have fun and make friends, then you probably would prefer likeminded people.  I like to discuss things, learn things, share things, and broaden my experience and my perspective by interacting with people who are different than me.  I have made some good friends on other sites who hold opposing views as my own on many subjects.  One I met several years ago holds polar opposite political and religious views to mine, yet we continue to keep in touch by phone and sometimes have long discussions on all the things we disagree on...because we have, we have also found a few things we actually do agree on.  At any rate, we provide each other with a broader perspective.  I think that is a good thing.  JMHO

July 2, 2016 8:02 AM MDT
  • Bez

Sometimes facts are presented that prove something to be false, that may be so, but just as often "facts" are deliberately falsified in the often malicious hope of misleading people and swaying others when they wouldn't otherwise be swayed. I am exceedingly wary of those. In fact, I generally prefer to learn things while doing my own research after something said piqued my curiosity, that way I can find out for myself while avoiding a possible argument.

I can and often do make friends with people who are different from me, as long as they accept me the way I am and don't even think about trying to change me, and I accept their different views with a live-and-let-live approach. The trouble is, not everyone has that kind of approach and won't let the matter rest until they are sure they have swayed the other person to their own way of thinking. Why do you think that is, Bozette?

July 2, 2016 8:10 AM MDT

Good question! And you're right! It seems that no matter how mundane the question is, there will always be someone out there to want to argue with it.

July 2, 2016 8:12 AM MDT

July 2, 2016 8:13 AM MDT
  • Bez

No, it isn't.

July 2, 2016 8:14 AM MDT
  • Bez

Why do you think that is, Meowsolini?

July 2, 2016 8:14 AM MDT

I think that a lot of people come here to vent their frustrations with life, Therefore, they find this a safe, anonymous place to do so.

July 2, 2016 8:42 AM MDT

I have never relied on a single source for anything.  And while I do always check links other post to me during a discussion, I also check other sources and never all from a single bias.  

No one is going to change me, Andy, and I have no desire to change others.  I presented you with why I, personally, have no interest in the kind of forums you spoke of above.  

Certain topics do tend to lead to debates, heated discussions, and outright arguments at times.  Politics and religion top that list.  Frankly, I don't think anyone actually expects they will sway anyone's opinion from one side to the opposite side.  That doesn't mean such discussions are necessarily unproductive, however.  As stated earlier, I often learn about things and research things I may not have otherwise, or do more in-depth research, or broaden my perspective in some way.  I find those things to be worthy of my time.  

Where I do think it is unworthy and unproductive (unless one is simply looking for an argument, of course) is when I see broad-brush stereotyping of a large group of people, especially when done in a derogatory manner or using derogatory labeling.  

July 2, 2016 9:11 AM MDT

See? My adoring public loves me to pieces.

~
      July 2, 2016 9:46 AM MDT

Isn't it "Andrew"?
    ~
      July 2, 2016 9:47 AM MDT
  • Bez

Yes, but most of my friends call me Andy, although some call me by the nickname Bez. I used to have an alternative account on AB called Bez, do you remember?

July 2, 2016 9:54 AM MDT
  • Bez

In that case, why don't they only do it in the presence of others who don't object to it, instead of deliberately flaunting it in front of people who they know perfectly well will object to it?

July 2, 2016 9:55 AM MDT
  • Bez

I don't like those broad-brush, derogatory stereotypings either, Bozette, so you are certainly not alone there. :)

Some people do seem to prefer checking other sources and never all from a single bias, while others prefer it all from a single bias. I have no desire to change others either, but some people definitely do. I don't want to mention any names but I could name one guy on this site who will never be content until the whole world agrees with his self-righteous, egotistical opinions, and he was well-known on another site for being like that to the point of spamming other people's questions and answers with falsified pseudo-facts that I could see right through, and he didn't like it one little bit when I and a couple of colleagues called him out on it, it only made him more awkward and argumentative than ever. How do you deal with someone like that?

July 2, 2016 10:03 AM MDT

• Now that's another interesting question Andy.

Some decent reasons presented here - 

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-people-love-to-argue

July 2, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

What is your hair color? What is your height? Whats your favorite food? Why do you get all bent out of shape when someone has a different veiw point than you give your answer and dont be so damn pushy you grumpy bastards?! These may not insite negative feed back.
      July 2, 2016 10:16 AM MDT
  • Bez

Lol:)

July 2, 2016 10:19 AM MDT
  • Bez

Let's face it, MrWitch, it all boils down to egotism, doesn't it? Most people who do like to argue are opinionated, egotistical a**holes who have nothing better to do with their lowlife, weaselly existence than to go around stirring up trouble where there needn't be any. I can't think of any sensible, logical, civilised reason why anyone would enjoy arguing, can you?

July 2, 2016 10:23 AM MDT

So your first name is NOT "Andy" then, is it?????

(Just joking.  For sake of argument, you see.)

:)

July 2, 2016 10:24 AM MDT