Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » 10 million minks have COVID, THEY ARE THROWING THEM IN SHREDDERS to kill them. How can we stop these people?

10 million minks have COVID, THEY ARE THROWING THEM IN SHREDDERS to kill them. How can we stop these people?

That is so cruel, there is a more humane way to do that. 

Posted - November 5, 2020

Responses

Where did you get this?
      November 5, 2020 12:12 PM MST

From a UK site the Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13113537/fury-bbc-live-mink-chucked-in-shredder-denmark/
    This post was edited by . at November 5, 2020 6:47 PM MST
      November 5, 2020 12:13 PM MST

If you believe anything printed in a Rupert rag, I have this bridge you might be interested in buying ...
      November 6, 2020 5:24 AM MST

Video...follow the link. 
      November 10, 2020 9:24 AM MST

Thanks.  First of all, while I agree that it would seem to be a heartless way to kill the minks, I cannot imagine how 15 million of them could be disposed of as quickly and, time being of the essence, this probably was the fastest way.  No one is going to stand around and euthanize 15 million animals.  
      November 6, 2020 11:56 AM MST

I didn't think the coronaviris could jump from  animal to human so I can't understand why they have to kill the minks and why they would do it in such a horrible way. Cheers!
      November 5, 2020 12:51 PM MST

Apparent it did, mutated, and then the mutation is infecting humans with the mutated strain---possible new pandemic.
      November 5, 2020 1:29 PM MST

That's exactly what I heard.
      November 5, 2020 1:35 PM MST

That's pretty scary viruses  are known to mutate but usally not in that way. Cheers!
      November 5, 2020 2:25 PM MST

That is just cold.  You think they could at least do it humanely. 
      November 5, 2020 1:49 PM MST

And they aren't harvesting the furs?
      November 6, 2020 5:19 AM MST

They are using the shredders so the fur can't be harvested.  I would think that the fur would have some remnant of the virus.
      November 6, 2020 11:54 AM MST

Imagine the monetary worth a million mink furs.  They can disinfect the furs.  Do people eat mink?  I'm sure I have never heard of that. 
      November 7, 2020 1:33 AM MST

I'm sure the monetary loss from having to kill those minks was enormous.  In order to be able to disinfect the furs, the would have had to skin the minks which would put humans at risk of catching the virus.  I guess they didn't want to take that chance.
      November 7, 2020 5:30 PM MST

Who exactly is alleging the animals are being shredded live?

I can believe the corpses being shredded to avoid anyone trying to use the pelts, but I would be extremely surprised (as well as shocked) that a country like Denmark would even consider killing them in any but a humane way. 
      November 10, 2020 1:27 AM MST

Follow her link above.  It shows a video.  The Sun in UK. 
      November 10, 2020 9:24 AM MST

Thankyou - I'd not spotted the link previously but have now followed it... beyond a great long list of "Off" switches.

It seems The Sun newspaper was passing on something first found or reported to the BBC. I trust the BBC to be more careful, impartial and less histrionic than a Murdoch-owned paper, but if this report is correct I sincerely hope the killings by shredder was an isolated incident on one farm, and  most of the farmers are using other, more humans ways to kill all those animals.

Interesting though, the report's ending, quoting a humane society apparently supporting the Danish Government's action. 

Whatever happens now, Denmark will have to think very seriously about its future actions, even considering this being the end of what was evidently a very lucrative but rather discreet export trade. However, Denmark holds a surprisingly wide range of manufacturing and service industries as well as the agriculture, fishing and tourism I suspect most of we foreigners know it for. So I don't think losing the fur trade would hurt the nation much, although it would put many people out of work; and may even help it in the long run.

I have no connection with Denmark other than having used at work, scientific equipment made there; and once using the country as the last remaining and now ended, direct car-ferry route to Scandinavia from Britain.  
      November 10, 2020 11:02 AM MST