Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Watching an episode of "The Crown" on Netflix depicting Charles' and Diana's 1983 tour of Australia and New Zealand. It makes me wonder...

Watching an episode of "The Crown" on Netflix depicting Charles' and Diana's 1983 tour of Australia and New Zealand. It makes me wonder...

Why has a nation as large as Australia, so distant from England, never declared its independence and broken free from the crown and commonwealth? Has remaining part of the United Kingdom helped or hindered its growth and development in any discernable way?

Posted - November 28, 2020

Responses

We declared our independence from the UK in 1901. Still part of the Commonwealth, as are New Zealand, India, Canada, Kenya, most of the Caribbean ... it's a much looser association, similar to ASEAN, OPEC, APEC (of which the United States is a member) etc. The Queen is a figurehead who wields no real power.
      November 29, 2020 12:27 AM MST

On a lighter note America chucked a load of tea in the harbour in rebellion, did Australia do anything historical? I can't find anything on it.
      December 1, 2020 3:18 AM MST

Peacefully. The colonies voted to unite, and Queen Victoria was wise enough to let them.
      December 2, 2020 1:27 AM MST

https://theconversation.com/no-longer-tied-to-britain-australia-is-still-searching-for-its-place-in-the-world-70407
      November 29, 2020 10:31 AM MST

How true
      November 30, 2020 5:33 PM MST

We have been legally independent in most ways that matter since Federation in 1901.

The last obstacle to becoming a republic is the constitution.
    At the moment, we have inherited the Westminster system of democracy and, despite its many problems, it works well enough most of the time.

There are numerous legal boffins who have been working on a new constitution since the Whitlam era in the 1970's. The citizenry have been left out of the process - have no means of even knowing who is involved or how to contact them. If ever one of these versions reaches the point of referendum, people will have no way of knowing what they are voting for, because it will be far too long and too complex, so they will probably vote no.

We actually do badly need a new constitution, to prevent events like Whitlam's dismissal, prime ministerial party coups, to prevent injustice to Aborigines, to enshrine human rights and to protect the environment.
    But of course the left and right both see it as an opportunity to skew the set up in their favour - so we are caught in a conundrum.

~ ~ ~
    "Has remaining part of the United Kingdom helped or hindered its growth and development in any discernable way?"

There are no disadvantages to remaining in the Commonwealth. It is just a loose, social affiliation of Britain and its former colonies.

The advantages are slightly greater ease of trade and fabulous opportunities for tourism, study, arts and sports (assuming the threat of Covid reduces with the vaccines).

We lost a lot of trade when Britain joined the EU and will probably regain it after Brexit. Negotiations are already in play.

Since China is currently severing its trade relations with us, we need to find other markets for our products. Britain's huge population and difficulty in growing enough food to feed itself represents a major opportunity for us. Its industrial capacity can make great use of our minerals.

(China is chucking a tantrum because we refuse to comply with their attempts at political bullying, property acquisitions, cyber infiltrations and expansion in the South China Sea.) This post was edited by inky at November 30, 2020 5:22 PM MST
      November 29, 2020 12:15 PM MST

Thanks for your thoughtful, informative answer!
      November 29, 2020 3:31 PM MST

Thanks for the pick, Stu, and thanks for an interesting question.
    You are always good value here.
      November 30, 2020 8:25 AM MST

Lol do I get to be a £10 pom again? Jokes aside, the UK and Australia have too many ties, whole family groups emigrated in the 60's & 70's as we all know. Remember two way family favourites? People and families from all over Europe emigrated too, its a huge cats cradle there are Australian immigrants in uk too loads of them i think that everybody just wants to get on with it. I grew up in that beautiful land, I kindergartened primary schooled and got my hsc too I'm here in pommyland now and probably will die here but I don't know where I come from which ever place has Lizzy on the coin. I just think that we don't want to let each other go
      November 30, 2020 5:21 PM MST

I think Australia has a smidgen of Scottish parliament in there somewhere
      December 1, 2020 3:31 AM MST

Scotland has its own system of democracy but, since it was never had colonial control, it's political influence has been non-existent in Australia.

We have plenty of Scottish descendents here, some of whom play their part as elected representatives, but the constitution of the Westminster system was adopted with almost no changes. It was/is entirely English.

December 2, 2020 11:56 AM MST

Well you "blotted" that theory out then inky! Lol (pun intended)
      December 2, 2020 2:15 PM MST