Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Instead of learning bible stories at early age wouldn't it be better to learn science concepts first then scripture when one is more mature?

Instead of learning bible stories at early age wouldn't it be better to learn science concepts first then scripture when one is more mature?

Posted - October 16, 2016

Responses

Right.  BRAINWASHING 101.

How about just cutting to the chase and teaching them Quantum Physics.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=max+planck+quotes+on+god&qpvt=max+planck+quotes+on+god&qpvt=max+planck+quotes+on+god&qpvt=max+planck+quotes+on+god&FORM=IGRE This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 16, 2016 11:20 AM MDT
      October 16, 2016 10:29 AM MDT

Any kind of basic science concepts would be better than teaching supernatural stuff to young vulnerable minds ..unless existence of supernatural powers can be proven.

October 16, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

That's because you obviously were not properly schooled yourself or you would not be asking such rudimentary, insipid crap all the time.

Love Sharon
      October 16, 2016 10:40 AM MDT

I learn stuff from whatever sources make most sense to me.
      October 16, 2016 10:52 AM MDT

Does a child really understand the meaning of Christmas or Easter? Bible stories are in our culture, whether you are Christian or not. People go to weddings, baptisms, and funerals and that involves so form of ritual. 

Children in war-torn countries experience religion in ways that come from history and religions. 

Children encounter fear at an early age. They are taught stories to help them cope with it, so stories can be helpful. Fear is real. Even adults face fears.

Some people believe that the Bible is the Word of God. They want their children to learn about it at an early age. 
      October 16, 2016 11:07 AM MDT

Some children become traumatized learning about Satan and hell and can be given false hope thinking 'God/Jesus' wil always be there to protect them.

How would one develop a suitable concept of God that would be beneficial? 
      October 16, 2016 11:19 AM MDT

forget concepts.
    only a direct experience of the oneness within
    will fill us with understanding
      October 16, 2016 12:19 PM MDT

I think love and some sort of faith can develop quite naturally without the supernatural influence within religion. 

One can develop their own concept of God that is suitable for their needs that don't have to be necessarily based upon what is learned from scriptures. 
      October 16, 2016 11:35 AM MDT

Faith can be effective and beneficial whatever it is based upon. 

Funny thing like a sick/injured person might benefit knowing someone is praying for them  but another person may take a turn for the worse thinking their condition is so bad that their only hope is to be prayed for.
      October 16, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

When I was quite young the simple idea that God created everything was a suitable answer as a temporary measure I must admit but I also kind of saw nature as a reality without God/supernatural influence. Kind of confusing..   Anyway after some years of pondering existence/non existence of God I suppose it is OK learn about God but not be forced or coerced to believe. 
    I can agree with Buddha anyway where he suggests to begin by learning a philosophy of life/living and leave beginnings (of existence ) to science.

October 16, 2016 12:42 PM MDT

Agree that "love and some sort of faith can develop quite naturally" and I think that there are some lucky ones who "develop their own concept of God that is suitable for their needs" They then, for companionship, look for others who share that concept the closest and join the religion of those others.
      October 19, 2016 10:59 PM MDT

nice reply
      October 16, 2016 12:15 PM MDT

...I think a Spiritual understanding,
    a Spiritual upbringing and awareness
    and good human values
    should be from the start with the child.
    as well as between the parents.
    ... Science will work hand in hand with spirituality.
    Science covers the phenomenal Physical world
    while a spiritual understanding is our basis for 
    our absolute foundation of existence.
    ... Religions? I don't fancy them.
    They don't give you a direct experience of God.
    A direct experience of the oneness within everyone
    is crucial to understanding life and who we are.
    ...that being said, there are some bible stories
    for kids that are not full of confusion and dogma
    but simply teach being good, love thy neighbor etc
    which I think parents can use, at their discretion,
    when they have a good spiritual understanding of life,
    they can use these as spiritual lessons for growing.
      October 16, 2016 12:12 PM MDT

No, 'cause the whole idea is to "get 'em while they're young," instill those false ideals and behaviors/rituals at a young age so they will grow up thinking that's the only way... But sure, science is good to learn at any age. 
      October 16, 2016 12:52 PM MDT

Seems what the religious right Powers-That-Be want and I do not think it is very progressive for society at all. This post was edited by Kittigate at October 16, 2016 1:03 PM MDT
      October 16, 2016 1:02 PM MDT

Yeah, no. I don't see how it could be. People don't need religion to be civil--it's our fellow humans that we should focus on praising and supporting, supporting each other, instead of trying to attain some impossible, dysfunctional, and unideal ideal of perfection. 
      October 16, 2016 1:19 PM MDT

maybe
      October 16, 2016 6:35 PM MDT

Spiritual training is very important. God instructed the nation of Israel to educate their children at an early age. Deuteronomy 6:4-8 says: "listen o Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and soul and all your strength. These words that I am commanding you today must be on your heart, and you must inculcate them in your sons  and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up. 

Proverbs 22:6 "train up a boy in the way he should go; even when he grows old he will not depart from it."
    These are only two scriptures of countless that counsel parents to start early in a child's life. Just like a gymnast's traning starts early in life so does the spiritual training. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at October 17, 2016 8:50 AM MDT
      October 16, 2016 10:13 PM MDT

All right but I think a person can develop quite well without having to believe there is a supernatural creator God that must be obeyed and which beliefs contradicts scientific knowledge. 
      October 17, 2016 8:50 AM MDT

"wouldn't it be better to learn science concepts first" I think that's inevitable. Nature makes sure that that happens. Before the baby picks up enough language for the teaching [indoctrination?] process to begin the baby is learning facts like, the louder you cry the quicker the attention, persistence does bring results eventually, if you loose balance you fall, falls can be painful. The baby doesn't know it's science but that's because it doesn't yet know technical words.
      October 19, 2016 11:16 PM MDT