Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Another Middle East Peace deal announced. Think President Trump will get any credit? Peace Prize? How many peace deals does it take?

Another Middle East Peace deal announced. Think President Trump will get any credit? Peace Prize? How many peace deals does it take?

Israel and Morocco this time.   

Posted - December 10, 2020

Responses

i just remember in the bible when it says ' he will make a peace covenant with many, and in the middle of it will break it '
      December 10, 2020 2:36 PM MST

True.  But neither Trump nor the US is in these agreements so 'he' will not be able to break them.  And the one we are waiting on will be Israel and Palestinians.  The one world government will also be coming into power as well at the time. 

Trump cannot be the beast of Rev or Daniel...Bible also says the whole world will love him.  And that he will be a king/leader who has never had a kingdom/country.  As a leader of a country (USA) Trump would not meet the prophecy.  Temple will also be rebuilt in Israel as this time as well. 
      December 10, 2020 3:01 PM MST

If these peace deals turn out to be real and long lasting, then Trump will have achieved some good.

I'm more worried about how having allowed Israel to invade and annex the non-Israeli sections of Jerusalem has made the potential for resolution of Palestinian issues less likely than ever.

I value the existence of the state of Israel, but the British solution of a divided East and West Banks was always a recipe for disaster. Why divide relatives and their cultural, religious and linguistic group against each other? It was mad! 
    The solution, in my view, would be to reset the boundaries. Give Palestine half of Jerusalem and the whole area to the north. Give Israel the other half and the whole area to the south. I doubt either would agree - but I still think it would make far more sense for both.
      December 10, 2020 4:50 PM MST

Palestinians have been offered a 2 state solution many times. They refuse because they would have to acknowledge Israel's right to exist. 
      December 10, 2020 6:15 PM MST

Yes, that is part of the problem.

Another part is that the Zionists have an overwhelming gerrymander in the Israeli constitution.
    They are the minority responsible for the continual encroachments on Palestinian territories. If it were not for the Zionists, the majority vote would have decades ago achieved a solution.
      December 10, 2020 10:46 PM MST

I don't know enough about the gov there to say if it is or is not gerrymandered. I do know they have to work with the minor parties to form a working majority in the government. (Another reason I am glad US does not have that type system...to much power to minor extreme parties)

But in any case, the land is Israel's. Israel won the wars. And that is the result of the wars.  The fact that they are willing to even offer a 2 state deal speaks very well to their part. 

US won the war with Mex and trust me, we will have no thought of returning the land won in that war.  
      December 11, 2020 3:59 AM MST

Presidents don't make peace deals...diplomats do, and he's no diplomat. How can he make any deals when he is too busy throwing Christmas parties and golfing?
      December 10, 2020 7:41 PM MST

Whatever you want to say...but nothing happened under the other Presidents. So if nothing else, President Trump appointed the diplomats who made the peace deals. This post was edited by my2cents at December 11, 2020 4:00 AM MST
      December 11, 2020 3:50 AM MST

December 11, 2020 6:59 PM MST

They are all failed peace deals, and nothing more than publicity stunts on TRump's part.  We should bear in mind too how many of TRump's allies he has alienated and how many other countries he has turned against America by his calling them s****ole countries. We must not forget how his cosying up to North Korea et al made Trump into a laughing stock by those same countries.. 

I am afraid too many people see only what they want to see and ignore the rest. 
      December 13, 2020 10:08 AM MST

Having normal diplomatic/trade relations with Israel in the middle east is neither failed or just PR. 
    It may not be pc...but we all know he was talking about the countries in Africa that are ran by corrupt violent dictators. The only difference is most people say the PC term 3rd-world county. 
    He was trying to get Lil Kim to agree to a nuclear deal.  Difference is all sanctions remained. And NK did not get pallots of cash. 
      December 14, 2020 4:16 AM MST

He failed to get Kim J to move at all unfortunately so that was a failed and probably pointless exercise, perhaps another example of America wading in, which is precisely what Trump promised not to do and it's one of the things that can start wars.   
    Trump has insulted not just dictator's countries but allies as well, in fact an almost constant stream of insults on people and countries is issued from Trump. 

It's always interesting to see Trump trying, (and almost always failing) to broker trade deals under the guise of peace talks when he is the one saying America first and trying to shut other countries trading out.. I am afraid it's not possible to have it both ways..one cannot on one hand say we aren't having your goods here, while on the other saying, but we want to send out stuff to you to buy. 

PS 3rd world country is not the same as the expression Trump used, partly because many of these so-called 3rd world countries aren't controlled by dictators... .
      December 14, 2020 12:53 PM MST

I did not say NK attempt succeeded.  I said was an attempt. NK was not willing to follow through....so he got a little PR...so what that is ALL Kim got.

Trump is blunt. But he is correct. Those allies where not/are not pulling their weight. And Trump called them on it. They called tariffs on US but not on them..."free trade"...yeah it was free for them.  With friends/allies like that who needs enemies....

Trump is the US President....it is his job to put America First. 

I did not say Trump said 3-world. I said he said he used the un-PC way to say it.
      December 14, 2020 4:20 PM MST

Wasn't this a deal he made WITHOUT involving, consulting or anything else, the Palestinians? That's a seriously dangerous move, and I wonder what Trump thought he was doing interfering in a situation that is nothing to do with him - again! Whatever happened to America first and America should not be concerning itself with other county's business. 

"White House bullet points suggest how Mr Trump will be framing his international dealmaker credentials for his election campaign: as a harbinger of Middle East peace and prosperity, with more Arab and Muslim countries likely coming on board to normalise relations with Israel.

This will allow Mr Trump to deflect attention from the "Deal of the Century" that he failed to achieve: Israeli-Palestinian peace. That project was widely criticised as heavily slanted in Israel's favour and rejected by the Palestinians."

The middle east is a very complex situation.. Trump wading in with his heavy boots and his obvious bias in favour of Isreal, is likely upset rather than improve things

Here's an interesting article about this very subject.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/23/saudis-may-stall-on-trumps-middle-east-peace-plan-now-hes-on-the-way-out

This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at December 13, 2020 12:19 PM MST
      December 13, 2020 10:21 AM MST

Why would any of them involve Palestinians? 
    These are diplomatic and trade deals that have nothing to do with Palestinians. 
    If the Palestinians want peace, they can have it anytime the want it. As it has been offered over and over. They refuse as they would have agree to Israel having a right to exist. And honor any such peace deal. 
      December 14, 2020 4:21 AM MST

Because the whole thing centralises on Palestine - the reason the 'peace talks' were necessary was that many of the other Arab countries shun Israel because of their treatment of Palestine. Many countries world-wide are not happy with Israel for that, but America, via Trump especially feel that's perfectly fine and has sought to persuade other Arab  nations to stop shunning/punishing/wanting nothing to do with Israel. This is not a peace deal, it is for America's interests. And if it's trade talks then it's not peace talks is it? It's certainly not this wonderful nobel peace prize winning effort is it? Indeed many feel quite the opposite. 

Everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion of the Palestinians of course but it's important to remember that what many people have heard and been lead to believe is generally speaking  only one side of it and in fact the Palestinians are pretty sure that Israel could have peace whenever 'they' want it if only Israel were to take the offers they have been given and if only they would get off of Palestinian land.  

I try to see both sides but we do have to remember that this strip of land that they are arguing about WAS Palestinian and it was that the Israelis  settled on it.. in other words they took it, stole it, proclaimed it their own.  

I appreciate it's more complex than that and it kinda reminds me of the Ireland argument... Britland people settled in Ireland a long time ago, did horrible things and proclaimed Northern Ireland their own.. Many people, especially the Irish think that the Britlanders should get out.. Horrible things have been done in that name.. There is MUCH sympathy for Ireland and the Irish in that respect. However again it's complex because after generations and generations the Brit-Ireland descendants now see themselves as Irish.. and they want entirely different things for their Ireland. 

These matters are never as straightforward as people, (often with vested interests!) would have us believe. IMO it's best to keep a fairly open mind about it and not take sides. Particularly one, (indeed many agree) that America definitely shouldn't take sides, especially if their main aim is to be able to sell arms, as has been posited. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at December 14, 2020 12:54 PM MST
      December 14, 2020 12:46 PM MST

They shun Israel because they are Jews. 
      December 14, 2020 4:22 PM MST

The Irish in general don't have a problem with the "plantationers" - they're Irish now (incidentally England declared ALL of Ireland her own, the Irish had to fight a particularly bloody war to gain independence for three quarters of it).
    If the British Army would get the hell out of Ireland,  the problem disappears.
      December 15, 2020 1:00 AM MST

Another "deal" that will achieve nothing. There is no simple solution in the Middle East, that war is fratricidal and has raged for over 3000 years. The Children of Isaac and the Children of Ishmael will not agree to any solution that acknowledges the other's right to exist.
    A deal with Morocco is particularly pointless, it's closer to Spain than it is to Israel. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at December 14, 2020 1:16 PM MST
      December 14, 2020 12:56 PM MST

The Jews do not deny the Muslims right to exist. 
      December 14, 2020 4:23 PM MST

Israel has forcibly occupied Palestinian land. Understandably so, to give herself defensible borders, but building enclaves on that land smacks of "sucks to you" behaviour.
      December 15, 2020 12:50 AM MST

Palestine has never been a country. 
    Wars have consequences. Israel won the wars. None of which they started...
      December 15, 2020 5:42 AM MST

Israel started the Six-Day War with airstrikes on Egypt. Ostensibly to reopen the Straits of Tiran which Egypt had closed, but that was a diplomatic incident and not an act of war.
    Israel seized the Sinai (which was relinquished in 1980 after a peace deal brokered by President Carter) and the Gaza Strip from Egypt, the West Bank and East Jerusalem from Jordan and the Golan Heights from Syria, all of which had previously been inhabited by Egyptian, Jordanian and Syrian Palestinians. Israel absolutely initiated that war, at least from a military standpoint.
      December 15, 2020 7:20 PM MST

Actions leading up to the war, were taken by Eygpt who inlisted Syria and Jordan.  There was no question at the time, the 3 countries were coming to take Israel. They made it clear. They had their soldiers blocking the Gulf. Syrians shelling Israel in Galilee from Golan Heights.  These are not diplomatic actions. The UN and US proved they were not going to intervene so yes Israel in 4 hrs preemptively attacked their invading air forces destroying a significant amount of their planes. 
      December 16, 2020 6:39 AM MST