Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » 117th Congress prayer ended with "amen and awoman." Stupid? Disrespectful?

117th Congress prayer ended with "amen and awoman." Stupid? Disrespectful?

Posted - January 4, 2021

Responses

Mr Cleaver is a Democratic from Missouri. What would you expect?

January 4, 2021 8:23 AM MST

I would have expected more from an elected member of Congress.  He is an idiot.  
    Amen has nothing to do with gender. And as a pastor he knows that or at least should. 

He is not my Representative so I cannot vote him out. This post was edited by my2cents at January 4, 2021 8:15 PM MST
      January 4, 2021 9:11 AM MST

"Amen has nothing to do with gender. "

Exactly.
      January 4, 2021 4:40 PM MST

I am a idiot too because I always  thought Amen was gender  bassed - I figured it was short for all men or something like that. Now I am curious what it really means. Cheers!
      January 4, 2021 8:15 PM MST

Hebrew, "it is so" or "so let it be". It's a general indication of agreement, or all being in one accord (which has nothing to do with Honda automobiles).
      January 5, 2021 2:03 AM MST

But you are not an ordained minister...so you were ignorant of the meaning....but not an idiot. 
    The idiot knows but does it anyway. 
      January 5, 2021 6:17 AM MST

It only demonstrates how ignorant and prideful mr cleaver is.  he's only interested in scoring points with people. This post was edited by Shuhak at January 4, 2021 8:15 PM MST
      January 4, 2021 10:23 AM MST

He was not ignorant. He is a pastor...he knows the meaning. 
    As you said he thought it would score points with some. 
      January 5, 2021 6:19 AM MST

"Amen" is what the people hearing say, not the one praying.  In essence, saying "amen" means that one agrees with what was said - be it a prayer or something else.  For the one praying (or whatever) to say amen is redundant (I agree with myself).
      January 5, 2021 9:55 AM MST

I have never heard anyone leading a prayer that did not end it with Amen. 
    It does not mean "I agree" or "Agreement"...it means "So it will be."
    The Lord's prayer in the Bibles ends in Amen. 
      January 5, 2021 3:48 PM MST

I am by no means saying that it's wrong to say amen at the end of a prayer.  I too have rarely heard a led prayer end without the person saying amen.  

You're correct, 'amen' means "let it be so" or "so be it" or "may it be fulfilled".   Would one say those words if they didn't agree with what was said?  Of course not.  So in essence, saying "amen" does mean that one is agreeing with what was said.  It's like saying "yes,  yes, let it happen". 
    Unfortunately, many people have have gotten so accustomed to using/hearing "amen" at the end of a prayer that they no longer know what it means.  Some even think it means "the end".   This is why I said he was ignorant.  Not ignorant as in stupid, rather ignorant in that he doesn't understand what he's saying (otherwise he wouldn't have said awoman).

"...And all the people shall say amen". (Deut 27:15-26)
      January 5, 2021 5:24 PM MST

As I said I would believe he was simply ignorant and did not know IF it were not for the fact that he is an ordained minister. 
      January 5, 2021 5:27 PM MST

• Stupid, embarrassing, and offensive to me as a linguist. 
      January 4, 2021 1:46 PM MST

Well, it is Congress after all. :)
      January 4, 2021 3:45 PM MST

Stupid. But then, stupid is the norm in Washington these days.
      January 4, 2021 4:08 PM MST

You already said it - - the word has nothing to do with gender.

I have no idea of the context. I only saw your question. I don't even care about the context. If the person wanted to make a point about equality or whatever, there are more effective-to-me ways.

But it has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican to me, either.

If we're all going to politicize everything, we know that if Trump said it and was grabbing some p**** while he said it, it'd all be okay for some. It seems to me, everything depends on whom we like and whom we don't like.  And I'm talking about everyone.

I'm sorry. You can delete me, it's okay. This was all an impulse-post. 

January 4, 2021 4:52 PM MST

As for context...he was leading the new Congress in their first prayer. It was how he ended the prayer.

Why would I delete your post? It does not violate any rules here. 

I am not okay with Trump's grab them talk.  It is sleezy talk. I would not want my husband hanging out with him. But that is not what I vote on. It means nothing in terms of policy. Just about all politcians are sleezy...so it comes down to policy or stay home. This post was edited by my2cents at January 5, 2021 5:57 PM MST
      January 4, 2021 8:08 PM MST

I won't say what my initial response was when I read that tidbit.

January 4, 2021 8:40 PM MST

Prob best that way. :)
      January 5, 2021 6:23 AM MST

Not disrespectful,  just stupid. It's like singing "hymns and hers".
    Since "Amen" means "so let it be", indicating agreement, perhaps the ridiculous "awomen" indicates agreewoment ...
      January 5, 2021 2:01 AM MST

I consider it disrespectful to God and those who he was leading in prayer.... to make light of the prayer....by a pastor is even worse. 
      January 5, 2021 6:13 AM MST

If you follow Amen with Awoman, you are Amoron.

Someone put that on my Facebook page. 
      January 5, 2021 7:00 PM MST