Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Look for the silver lining. What aspect of COVID19 has brought about a positive outcome in your life?

Look for the silver lining. What aspect of COVID19 has brought about a positive outcome in your life?

Excluding my family members, I’ve never been the type of person who either initiates hugging people nor who enjoys when others initiate hugging me, especially when it comes to coworkers, casual acquaintances, first-time introductions, strangers, etc.  
For years, I had some coworkers who were daily huggers. DAILY.
A greeting hug the first time you see each other every day, and a goodbye hug at the end of the workday.
It was considered cold, rude, and impolite to not hug each other because for them, the practice also has cultural significance.
I wanted no parts of it, I avoided it every chance I could, I found it intrusive, fake, and forced, yet in order to get along, I had to go along.

Then along came COVID19. Slowly, there were people who on their own began to break off all extraneous person-to-person contact such as hugging, but not the die-hards. When I balked at being hugged once, a die-hard actually said to me, “Aw, how long have we known each other? I‘m not worried about catching anything from you!” and grabbed me, pulled me in for a big ol’ bear hug.
As COVID19 intensified and many of us were given work from home shifts on a half-week/half workforce schedule, the numbers dwindled of those of us having daily contact. Consequently, the Hug Club diminished in numbers too, and fewer of the Hug Meisters plied their trade. Soon after that, management put out a written policy forbidding many forms of personal contact, hugging included. 
Alas, the onset of COVID19 also marked my involuntary early retirement, so within weeks of all this happening, I wasn’t in the environment any longer, so I never got the benefits of the hug-free atmosphere at work, but I’m glad that atmosphere finally came to fruition. I’m not glad that COVID19 was the impetus, but reality dictates that that was how it happened. 

For you, how can COVID19 be looked at in any positive light?
~

Posted - January 24, 2021

Responses

One positive aspect is that I don't have to travel to and from the office.  At first I didn't like working from home, but I've gotten used to it and I love it.  I like being able to get up at 8 AM, have my coffee and breakfast at home.  I like not having to get dressed until I'm ready.  I like not having to put on makeup every day and being able to take a nap in the middle of the day if I choose since I only work from 9AM to Noon these days.
      January 24, 2021 9:23 PM MST

January 24, 2021 10:13 PM MST

Not so much just for me but I have heard that there are a lot less cases of the regular flu bug because most people are wearing masks.
      January 25, 2021 4:52 AM MST

(less fewer cases)
      January 25, 2021 5:28 AM MST

Dang! I always ferget.
      January 25, 2021 5:46 AM MST

January 25, 2021 5:28 AM MST

I am like you...I love the social distancing. Don't touch me unless you are family. 
      January 25, 2021 5:56 AM MST

Did that start with COVID19, or intensify with COVID19?
    ~

January 25, 2021 10:24 AM MST

What a weird workplace. At my office we didn't even say good morning or good-bye. The only hug I ever got at work was when I retired and that was brief and awkward on both sides. I had wonderful co-workers, so it had nothing to do with our feelings toward each other. BTW, you have a typo.  

As for positive outcomes, I'm struggling to think of any. Perhaps I have an increased awareness of the importance of making sacrifices for the common good, but sadly too many others have not come to that realization.
      January 25, 2021 6:45 AM MST

You love making me sweat; I looked all over for the typo, and I’m glad I found it. Thank you for letting me know there was one, but you’ve obviously been (very badly) influenced by SavvyAnsley and her make-him-search-for-it strategy. I’ve asked you time and time again not to listen to these other women, they’re just jealous of what you and I have together and they’re trying to break it up. 

This is crazy, you and I should be talking about this face-to-face. I’ve just calculated the approximate halfway point between Minnesota and California, it puts us in Omaha, Nebraska. Let’s meet up there and make this real once and for all . . .

~

January 25, 2021 8:05 AM MST

See you Omaha. If you get there first, just wait for me.
      January 25, 2021 9:10 AM MST

You have a typo there, Ansley Clone.

January 25, 2021 10:22 AM MST

Consider it my gift to you.
      January 25, 2021 12:15 PM MST

Friends don't come over to my house. Wait...I don't have any.
      January 25, 2021 8:44 AM MST

I don't like shaking hands, I'm glad we don't have to do that anymore.  I love it that people have to wear masks and gloves when fixing my to go orders.  
      January 25, 2021 12:52 PM MST