Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Have you heard from your health care provider when the vaccine will be available to you?

Have you heard from your health care provider when the vaccine will be available to you?

Got an email from Kaiser.

For 75 and older we will be notified of when the vaccines are there in-house and then given guidance as to how to proceed from there. Good to know they haven't forgotten about us.

Posted - January 29, 2021

Responses

In BC my age group 70 - 75 is scheduled to receive our first shots in April 2021.
      January 29, 2021 9:14 AM MST

APRIL? Kinda far away isn't it Kg? Well Jim is 85 and I'm 83 so I guess we'd be ahead of you on any scale. I just hope and pray those who get the vaccines don't die because of it. I know everything has a possible deleterious side effect. But DEATH? Thank you for your reply m'dear. :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 29, 2021 9:26 AM MST
      January 29, 2021 9:22 AM MST

I got the same notice from NYU Langone that they will advise when the vaccine is available.  On the news two days ago, an older couple in Brooklyn, NY were trying to make appointments to get vaccinated.   They were on two cell phones, two iPads and one laptop for 11 hours before they got through.  Now, hopefully, their appointments will not be cancelled.  
      January 29, 2021 10:39 AM MST

I do not have the patience to do that L. I'd go nuts. I'll just wait until the crowd gets smaller and there is ample vaccines available. Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 30, 2021 3:04 AM MST

Me, too.  
      January 30, 2021 7:49 AM MST

Plus I don't want to get one shot and then have to get another. I want ONE SHOT. I think Johnson & Johnson just came out with that. I don't know what the efficacy rate of that is but I'm sure Kaiser do the best it can by us. :)
      January 30, 2021 7:58 AM MST

J&J is supposedly less efficacious than Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, but it does prevent hospitalizations in the same high percentages last I read.  The J&J vaccine is considerably less effective in the South African strain, however.

"Johnson & Johnson presented only a summary of findings of its clinical trial. The vaccine was 85 percent effective in preventing severe disease in all three regions where the trial was run: the United States, Latin America and South Africa. After 28 days, none of the vaccinated participants who developed Covid-19 had to be hospitalized.

The company reported that the vaccine’s protective effect seems to increase with time. But without long-term data on immunity, scientists and regulators do not yet know whether the vaccine’s efficacy peaks at some point before dropping."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/health/covid-vaccine-johnson-and-johnson-variants.html

January 30, 2021 8:31 AM MST

Thank you for the info and the link L. I appreciate both! :):)
      January 30, 2021 8:32 AM MST

Different country, different system but so far I'm too young to be vaccinated yet. 

Instead I have received text-messages from my health-centre telling me I will be invited in due course, and asking I don't contact it unless necessary for other reasons.

For the annual influenza injection, they set up the appointment days and you turn up and queue on one of them. I assume they'll act similarly for the Covid jab.  
      January 29, 2021 2:39 PM MST

Our insurance comes through Kaiser and we get our annual flu vaccines without the need to make an appointment. We just show up and go to where the shots are being given. Or when we have a doctor's appointment anyway during that time the nurse will give us that flu shot. It's never been a problem. I expect the COVID 19 vaccine may require appointments. We're just waiting for direction from Kaiser. They contacted us via email to let us know (those over 75) what will happen next. They've been very good about lots of things in the past so we are not worried that this might slip through the cracks or that we will! Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)
      January 30, 2021 3:07 AM MST