Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Joe Biden was just kidding around on Jan 20, 2021 when he said he’d fire staffers who disrespected other people, right?

Joe Biden was just kidding around on Jan 20, 2021 when he said he’d fire staffers who disrespected other people, right?

Read my lips: “No ifs, ands, or buts.”

Posted - February 14, 2021

Responses

We have no way of knowing if Biden heard about this before it became a big story - not every staffer reports directly to the President. It seems more likely that someone further down in the chain of command didn't do the right thing. I also think that was a pretty sweeping statement that is going to be hard to enforce, but he has at least announced his expectations.
      February 14, 2021 6:28 PM MST

I sincerely doubt that the president doesn’t know about the T.J. Ducklow incident at all, especially not after a) so many days since the story broke, b) it involves a subordinate of his very own press secretary, who early on identified herself as Ducklow’s direct supervisor, c) it also involves the president’s own emphatic pledge on Inauguration Day, d) the president is being crucified by detractors, which is e) the exact type of damage control the said press secretary would be expected to circumvent.

All of that even though the President and First Lady are at Camp David, Maryland on hiatus. The administration is in contact with him, and he is not shielded from news and current events. Somehow or some way, he might be expected to make his pledge a reality, only if it is a valid one. If he didn’t mean it when he said it, then it must have been a joke. If he did mean it, why was the first decision in the case for a mere week’s suspension without pay, but once the media outcry began, Ducklow gets the soft-shoe treatment of “being allowed” to resign in lieu of the president firing him, as promised?

Biden had a perfect opportunity dropped right in his lap in fewer than 15 days after taking office. A goose laid a golden egg for him, he would have been the darling of feminists, leftists, metoo-ers, women’s rights activists, etc, and those who tout the democrat-good/non-democrat bad lines.

I like the Joe Biden Comedy Hour. I wasn’t really interested before, but now I may tune in more so as not to miss any more of his humor. 

~

February 14, 2021 8:41 PM MST

You must really be upset about this - you didn't even spell Ducklo's name right. If Biden knew about before the story was published, then Psaki lied about not discussing it with him and she deserves some repercussions for lying as well as for not enforcing the standards Biden clearly set. In any case, I will wait to see if this is a pattern before I start trashing Biden. It might just be there are a few other things on his mind at the moment and he really didn't get briefed on this as it happened.
      February 14, 2021 8:57 PM MST

No, I’m not “upset” about it at all, just because I write about something is not an automatic gauge that I’m ”upset”. I just know that were the tables to be turned, and when the tables were turned, a “non-Biden” person would have been and was raked over the coals for the same or similar handling of such an incident. I posted this to see if those very same people who decried the “non-Biden” person would hold the same level of umbrage in this case, or if they would merely be apologists for Biden. 

As for the misspelling of the lad’s name, I apologize and accept responsibility if I got it wrong, I have to take your word for that. I pulled his name from a news source, and that’s the spelling given there. [A bit ironic, wouldn’t you admit; a news source misspelling the surname of a press-relates person?]
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at February 15, 2021 4:34 PM MST
      February 15, 2021 12:01 AM MST

I was actually kidding about you being upset because of the spelling because your spelling is usually correct. I'm sorry if I offended you.  I think Biden shouldn't have made the statement in the first place. He may have thought he was calling for a change in tone, but I think it would have been better to set an example and deal with situations as they come up because there is no one-size-fits-all answer.  
      February 15, 2021 5:28 AM MST

Thank you, I didn’t realize the reference to being upset was about the typo, I thought you meant I seemed upset over the topic itself. And no, I wasn’t offended by what you wrote. 

You bring up a good point about Biden probably should not have made the statement, I like that. 
    ~

February 15, 2021 10:05 AM MST

This may not actually answer your question. However, the first thing that came to mind when I read this was that I don't trust anything Biden says.
      February 14, 2021 8:12 PM MST

The guy was suspended without pay pending an investigation (proper procedure, unfair dismissal lawsuits are messy), then the guy resigned prior to completion of the investigation (realising he didn't have a prayer).
    Nothing to see here.
      February 15, 2021 12:41 AM MST

Nothing to see but a boastful, headline-grabbing, empty, postering “threat” from Biden on his inauguration day?

February 15, 2021 2:56 AM MST

Biden would have fired him ON COMPLETION OF THE INVESTIGATION, had the guy not quit first. Absolutely nothing to see here.
      February 15, 2021 2:52 PM MST

Nice try.  That’s not what Biden stated.

On the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot,  on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, 
    on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, 
    on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot, on the spot . . . 

~

February 15, 2021 7:18 PM MST

"If ... I Hear you treat another colleague with disrespect". Joe didn't hear him, he had his attention brought to it second hand. "He said she said" can never be grounds for dismissal, you'd be sued to smithereens. So it needed to be investigated. QED.
      February 17, 2021 2:53 AM MST

I’ll give that one to you, it is a nice dodge, though.
    ~

February 17, 2021 6:52 AM MST