Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Another puzzlement. The pols who vote NO on increasing the minimum wage have constituents who will be harmed by that. Dumb right?

Another puzzlement. The pols who vote NO on increasing the minimum wage have constituents who will be harmed by that. Dumb right?

The people who voted you in to SERVE THEM are not going to vote for you again. Or are they?

Are there people who don't mind how badly they're treated? You can kick them around and wipe your feet off on them and they will still love you and vote for you?

I mean isn't that quite stupid dumb unless you like not being able to give your kids things other kids have. I mean do you like that feeling when you have tell your kid "we just can't afford it"?

Political party support over the wellbeing of your family? Seriously screwed up are you?

Posted - March 6, 2021

Responses

Has anyone taken a close look at the consequences of raising the minimum wage to $15.00 per hour? If anyone actually cares about this subject, I suggest that you read this article about those consequences.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2019/07/10/the-unintended-consequences-of-the-15-minimum-wage/?sh=7a65d896e4a7
      March 6, 2021 10:44 AM MST

I went to the site. They would only let me read it if I turn off ad block, or subscribe.
      March 7, 2021 1:15 PM MST

:):):)
      March 8, 2021 3:02 AM MST

A lot of sites are starting to do that...it is annoying. 
      March 8, 2021 3:03 PM MST

Very. Almost all of the newspapers...including ours.
      March 8, 2021 4:03 PM MST

Sorry about that. I turned mine off to read it is why I recommended it. :)
      March 9, 2021 5:24 AM MST

I was against it as well.  1. it was only for federal workers. 2. it was tacked onto a COVID stimulus package.

Raising the minimum wage sounds good on paper - more money in the pockets of those who need it.  But in reality.... it's not quite that cut and dry.  That money must come from somewhere.  That means companies will either have to raise prices of the goods they peddle, or they'll have to trim labor.  When prices are raised in one sector, other sectors go up as well... even housing costs.  Larger companies may be able to adjust, but smaller ones may be forced out of business (can't compete).
      March 6, 2021 12:45 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I see it differently. The obscenely wealthy are far better off now after the chokehold reign of FOOTOO DESPITE the pandemic. They always are. Congress had no problem with a bazillion dollar tax cut for the wealthy. But giving we the people a living wage? That's horse of a different color. I have always worked for others. I have benefitted by the kindness of strangers as it were. Appreciating my work my work ethic my output my attitude gave me a good life despite not having a college degree. Junior college was it for me. I was always an excellent employee because I worked for ME! Doing less than my best was never an option and I was rewarded for that. Of course not paying people what they're worth is what all greedy money hungry SOB's and republicans do if they can get away with it. More for them. Different strokes. Now if I were obscenely wealthy I'd be all for more for me and none for "the little people". I am now and was and always will be part of the "little people". I guess you don't share that with me. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      March 7, 2021 2:34 AM MST

I was one of the little people too.  (I've probably told you this before) One year when our CEO only got a $3 million bonus instead of his usual $5 million (on top of his $8 million salary), he took it out on the stores.  Labor was cut to the bare minimum, ordering moratoriums were put in place (only a set amount of merchandise would be ordered, with no back stock), and all store supplies were limited to 1 unit per week and had to be okayed by upper management first (to see if it was "essential").  On top of this, all stores were to be at "grand opening" status at all hours of their operation.  That meant shelves were to look full and everything to be sparkling clean.  This was to ensure he got his full bonus amount  the following year.

You and I understand what it's like in the trenches.  We worked hard.  We gave an honest day’s work for what we hoped was an honest day’s pay.  I don’t know about you, but I put in a lot of “free time” as well.

I’ve worked for many corporations (chain stores).  I watched as the upper folk got 7-8 figure salaries for playing golf and going to luncheons, while their employees (who did a majority of the work) could barely afford to feed their families.  I saw them take 40+ weeks of vacation per year (mostly overseas), while working their senior managers 18+ hours per day (they did that as a form of “punishment”).  I saw them with their 2+ houses, while their employees had to live in their cars.   Corporations are always squeezing out smaller and mom-pop type stores, as they have the ability.  Just look at Amazon.  The wealthy will never surrender a penny without finding out some way of getting it back.

March 7, 2021 12:44 PM MST

I have read of OUTSTANDING companies to work for though Shuhak. Sadly I don't remember any of the names of them but I think there are a few in Silicon Valley. They value their employees and provide on-site perks like lunchrooms and exercise equipment. They know that turnover is very expensive and keeping good people is essential to growth. But of course there are VERY FEW of them. Why that is I don't know. Any company is only as good as the people who work there. It isn't management that does the work. Sure on occasion management makes a BIG decision but otherwise they are not the worker bees. Keeping good people happy and making them feel valued isn't that hard to do. Everybody wins. Problem is you know that old saw? Promoting people to the level of their incompetence? I believe it's called "The Peter Principle". You find that everywhere. It's curiously queer and peculiar but it is what it is. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. So GOOD people DESERVE earning a good wage. We agree on that! Good! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 8, 2021 4:04 PM MST
      March 8, 2021 3:08 AM MST

A happy employee is a productive employee.  Psychologists tell us this.  Innumerable studies have shown this.  We can even see examples that it's true.  There’s not one company that doesn’t want to make money.  Yet very few care about that which makes them that money – their employees.  Employees don’t really care about having exercise rooms or massage chairs at work.  Nor do they really care about having a break room the size of the Sistine chapel, complete with a never ending feast of pheasant under glass and caviar.  Sure, these things are nice and all, but the number one thing every employee wants from their employer is to feel appreciated; as if they matter.  They don’t want to feel like some juice box that gets squeezed dry and tossed in the trash.  They want to feel like they are a real person, not just a number or nameless cog.  Some companies spend billions of dollars in an effort to make the work environment more “comfortable” for their employees.  Yet, making a person feel appreciated doesn’t cost a thing.  Having mottos like, “we care for our employees” is nice, but they’re meaningless words unless everyone (especially management) takes them seriously.

March 8, 2021 2:44 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful exposition of the point I was trying to make. Cafeterias and exercise rooms would make me feel appreciated. An extension of consideration and an expansion of ways to show the appreciation. Also timely raises and bonuses of course. And an occasional ATTA GIRL never hurts. But I realize people are not all the same. Happy Tuesday to you Shuhak! :) I once worked at a company that did have a cafeteria. The food was not free but it was good and very reasonable. You didn't have to brown bag it. Employees met and chatted and interacted "away from work" as it were. I really liked that. There was also a women's lounge with a couple of sofas and chairs where you could stretch out. That was also very nice! :)
      March 9, 2021 2:56 AM MST

Assuming the employer doesn’t lay off employees when the minimum wage goes up, which happens sometimes, minimum wage employees get helped by it.

However, poor people just can’t win because the prices of things always increase to match the minimum wage increase, so after the lag time in the economy for the cost of living to catch up, they’re struggling just as much as they were before the minimum wage increase.

Some states correct this by having automatic indexed adjustments.  My own state, South Dakota, increases automatically on New Year’s Day to match inflation.  This year the minimum wage here is $9.45/hour. This post was edited by Livvie at March 7, 2021 4:07 PM MST
      March 6, 2021 2:30 PM MST

Automatic yearly increases? To match inllation? What a good idea. Now $9.45/hour is not $15/hour but it's better than the current minimum wage of $7.25. I guess the rich will always be greedy bas**rds and try to cheapskate their way through life so they will have more and more and more. Human nature right? Sigh. The rich oive off the backs of the "little people". They suck the life out of them then discard them on a whim. Double sigh. The way of the world sad to say. Thank you for your reply Liv and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :) Not ALL of them. Just MOST of them. There are some employers who are fair and good and just.
      March 7, 2021 2:38 AM MST

It's an inflationary move, but in an environment of flat wages and stagnant economic growth, the stimulus to the economy would pay for itself. More money being spent, demand increases, businesses must employ more staff to meet demand, those people than have more spending power thus increasing demand again ...
    It can be funded in the case of government employees by simply reversing the tax cuts legislated by the Trump administration, almost all of which went to the already extremely wealthy and none of which trickled down. Reinvesting in shares does nothing for the economy as a whole - the stock market is a poor indicator, that only shows how the rich are doing.
      March 8, 2021 3:09 PM MST

You what I've heard and never experienced? "Raise the minimum wage and people will get laid off!" For me that is a bunch of crap! It is a boogie man fear tactic to keep the "little people" in line. The threat? You want a raise? You could lose your job. Bull! But some fall for it hook line and sinker and promulgate it. Dumbheads! Thank you for your reply R and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      March 9, 2021 3:04 AM MST

Raising the minimum helps the big business.  It drives their smaller competition out of business. 

Smaller companies have to raise prices or cut hours and/or employees. 
      March 8, 2021 4:29 PM MST

Not if their client base has more spending power, small business will sell more. Smaller profit per unit sale, but LOTS more sales. Basic economics. Tax cuts for the uber wealthy help nobody.
      March 8, 2021 6:43 PM MST

If it is a blanket increase it does not put more money the base customers pocket because of inflation. 
      March 9, 2021 5:19 AM MST