Active Now

Slartibartfast
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you prefer engaging with those who talk UP to you DOWN to you or face you square eye to eye? Why?

Do you prefer engaging with those who talk UP to you DOWN to you or face you square eye to eye? Why?

Posted - March 10, 2021

Responses

I prefer eye to eye but I am a somewhat shy person and tend to look away when someone is eye-to-eyeing me.
      March 12, 2021 4:32 PM MST

I get your point. I can relate. :)
      March 12, 2021 5:29 PM MST

I was painfully shy as a child and I expect then I averted my gaze. But straight on straight eye to eye is what I've done for many decades. I look at the eyes FIRST and then take in the rest. The first time I laid eyes on Jim I thought"how kind his eyes are". I was right! Also"eyes are the window to the soul". Angry eyes turn me off bigly. Cold. Remote. Aloof. Detached. Not my cuppa tea. So if we were to meet you'd look away then? Or have we chatted long enough that you would look straight in my eyes and let me look into yours? Cheeky question? Sorry. Thank you for your reply Kg and Happy Saturday to thee. We're both Scorpios. Would that make a difference?
      March 13, 2021 6:20 AM MST

As equals, but I do observe cultural differences. An Australian aborigine won't look you in the eye unless he or she is insulting you, it's a mark of extreme disrespect. When addressing one of these people, I generally look to one side and they do likewise.
      March 12, 2021 8:18 PM MST

I have read about that m'dear. I think diplomats have to study the culture before they venture forth. Ambassadors must know the people they are there to engage with as a representative of the country. Aren't aborigines quite short so looking you in the eye would mean they'd have to look up? Or is that just my mind going squirrly? Thank you for your reply. I know from our previous chats that you have aborigine blood in your ancestry. There is a lot to learn about other cultures. :)
      March 13, 2021 4:59 AM MST

One thirty-second hardly counts - I don't consider myself to be indigenous as I don't identify with the culture. My contact with it has always been from the outside looking in, I respect it but can't live it.
    On average, native Australians are shorter than most but then again so am I. An aboriginal person will not look you in the eye if s/he respects you, regardless of height.
      March 13, 2021 9:00 PM MST

KNOWING that about yourself though I think is AMAZING R. I do. You know your origins. I don't really. I mean as far as I know I'm of 100% Armenian ancestry. But I'm sure that isn't correct. I bet no one is 100% anything. Sadly when I could have asked my parents or grandparents about it I didn't. Only after they were all gone did I realize the opportunity I lost forever. I kick myself now but that is of no value. I admire those whose families can be traced back centuries. Of course I am first generation American. I don't know how good such records are in the "old country". For my dad it was IZMIR, TURKEY. His birthplace. I think the name has been changed. For my mom it was AMASYA, Armenia. What kind of generalogical records could be found there I will never know. Stupid me. Too soon old too late schmart! I think 1/32nd is spectacular. That you KNOW that. So just ignore me if I am amazed and it annoys you. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 14, 2021 3:51 AM MDT

I had an answer and I wasn't so happy with it and I deleted it. Sorry, Rosie G.
    Have a good weekend. :)
      March 13, 2021 6:39 AM MST

Geez WQ now I'm intrigued. I have never NOT been happy with your answers but well you have to feel comfy with what you put out there so adieu to whatever it was! Thank you for touching base though. That's so sweet! Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      March 14, 2021 3:54 AM MDT

Maybe I'll try again some time.
      March 18, 2021 6:35 PM MDT

I know what we write to each other anyone out there who clicks in can read. But I always approach it this way. Whatever you write and I read and I reply belongs to just the two of us. That's just how I approach it. Of course I get in trouble doing that but it's just how I'm wired. When I talk to you I'm talking TO YOU. If others eavesdrop with their eyes that's on them not us. I do realize anyone slumming has access to our words. That never bothers me. It probably should but it doesn't. So I respect your being sensitive to that. Very rarely do I edit myself. I once wrote a lengthy reply to someone I don't like and usually ignore. I erased all of it and just moved on. I'm not a fan of negativity so I try to avoid it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 19, 2021 3:13 AM MDT

I had an answer and I wasn't so happy with it and I deleted it. Sorry, Rosie G.
    Have a good weekend. :)
      March 13, 2021 6:39 AM MST

And why my post up there posted twice, I don't know. I won't delete either of them. :)
      March 13, 2021 6:40 AM MST

Someetimes computers have a mind of their own. Once on Answerbag I think I got a reply that replicated itself at least a dozen times. Why the anomaly? I have no idea. Good for you for not deleting it. That would be changing history for no reason. Maybe it will occur again for no reason. I wonder if machines act up for no reason more than human beings? See how this works m'dear? One thing leads to another an now I have a question I can ask because of your leaving history alone! Thanks m'dear! :) It will read "do machines "go wrong" more often than human beings?"  Like it?
      March 14, 2021 3:57 AM MDT