Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » I’m in the waiting room of a doctor’s office; a WiFi availability notice just popped up on my phone, I ignored it.

I’m in the waiting room of a doctor’s office; a WiFi availability notice just popped up on my phone, I ignored it.

My question is: since I already have internet access even prior to that offer showing up, what would be the advantages and/or disadvantages of someone accepting such an offer?
~

Posted - March 10, 2021

Responses

Advantage - doesn't use up your data on your mobile device account. If you have unlimited data on your plan, there is little or no advantage.
    Disadvantages - public wifi is generally slower than private mobile, and once you accept, your device will automatically switch to that server whenever you are in range unless you tell your device to forget the URL.
      March 10, 2021 2:44 PM MST

• A disadvantage is that hackers set up wifi hotspots.  They want you to connect using their wifi hotspot.  If you do, they can see everything you do online.  If they're lucky, someone will log into their bank account when they're on the hacker's wifi network.  If you use a good VPN, they can't see what you do on the internet.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 12, 2021 10:21 PM MST
      March 12, 2021 10:02 PM MST

Thank you, that’s one of the main things I had in mind as a reason to deny it: hackers. 

~

March 12, 2021 10:04 PM MST