Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » How long will the Oakland program last that distributes money to low income families based on race?

How long will the Oakland program last that distributes money to low income families based on race?

Posted - March 27, 2021

Responses

It’s not likely to live past the first lawsuit. 

I heard about it on the radio yesterday. It specifically excludes Caucasian people from taking advantage of a poverty-abatement program. Race-based government denial of a public benefit?  Sure, that’ll last.

~

March 27, 2021 6:02 AM MDT

I agree. It should fail at first case. 
      March 27, 2021 6:05 AM MDT

I just wonder where is all the outcry from the left; had this been introduced by conservatives, there would already be screeching posts of sarcastic outrage and glaring hyperbole.
      Michelle Obama, where are you now?

March 27, 2021 6:10 AM MDT

There will be no large outcry.  Most will agree with it.
      March 27, 2021 6:12 AM MDT

But that would be hypocritical . . . oh, wait.
      March 27, 2021 6:17 AM MDT

• It's privately-funded, so I don't see how a lawsuit would be successful. It's not as if the city is giving taxpayer funds to low-income families. 
      March 28, 2021 9:12 AM MDT

The news reports I’ve seen show the mayor of Oakland, California proudly promoting the program in an on-camera appearance. I am not saying that that makes it automatically or definitely a government program, nor do I dispute your claim that it is privately funded, I admit that with the way the facts are lining up, it’s either confusingly looking like government backing of a questionable plan, or government being in bed with the private sector in order to vouch for a questionable plan.

Were the ethnicities to be reversed, I doubt many would applaud this or sit still for it.  I guess it’s now become ok the favor one ethnicity/race over another because the left is doing it . . . 

March 30, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

UPDATE: CNN reported it this way:

Oakland will give low-income families of color $500 per month, no strings attached

By Maria Morava and Scottie Andrew, CNN 
    Updated 12:21 PM EDT, Wed March 24, 2021

(CNN) Low-income families of color in Oakland, California, could receive some extra financial assistance over the next year and a half. 

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf announced this week that the city will launch a guaranteed income project to give hundreds of Black and Indigenous families and people of color $500 per month for 18 months.

The remainder of the article can be found on CNN’s website. That doesn’t preclude your statement that the funding itself is private.

March 30, 2021 8:10 PM MDT

• Who knows? Why don't we give it time to see how it goes instead of immediately putting it down? Stimulus tends to be good for the people who receive it and the economy. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 28, 2021 9:39 AM MDT
      March 28, 2021 9:15 AM MDT

Aren’t there plenty of conservative initiatives that could benefit from the same stance of a wait and see instead of being shot down immediately, vigorously, and with fervent rebuke by its opposition?

March 28, 2021 10:44 AM MDT

• Sure. That applies all around. Modern American politics is all about trying to prevent the other side from doing anything, no matter what it is, no matter if you eventually end up doing the same thing under a different name.
      March 28, 2021 11:28 AM MDT

Is there no hypocrisy at all in excluding anyone by ethnic background, regardless of which ethnic background it is? If a private group that openly advocates white supremacy and introduces a similar benefit yet limits its recipients’ eligibility to Caucasian only, the fact that it’s a private organization makes it ok? I sincerely doubt that the left or the liberals would either remain quiet about that or support it.
      March 28, 2021 10:50 AM MDT

• My personal preference is that it be done by economic level rather than racial group, but I am not going to try and prevent private money being used to support certain people based on ethnic background. If a group that advocated white supremacy initiated a similar benefit, my problem with it would be the group's ideology of white supremacy, not the choice of recipients for the benefit itself. This group is not claiming black supremacy, only attempting to help a large impoverished demographic in a specific city. 
      March 28, 2021 11:33 AM MDT

Thank you.

March 28, 2021 3:32 PM MDT

Because it is tied to the government. I do not believe it has a chance in court.  It was announced by the Mayor as a city project. 

If it were just private org it may have a chance, but I still think race should not play a roll.  There are poor people of every race. If someone needs help and you can help them I cannot imagine saying you are the wrong color.
      March 28, 2021 3:48 PM MDT

Seems that goes against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. it does not say that only the government is liable to that law. No discrimination based on race,color, religion, sex,national origin,and later sexual orientation and gender identity. So giving money based on race is against that law no matter who does it.
      March 28, 2021 12:37 PM MDT

I am certain it will end up in court. We will see how it plays out. This post was edited by my2cents at March 28, 2021 3:49 PM MDT
      March 28, 2021 3:48 PM MDT