Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Citing grave concerns SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN magazine will replace "climate change" with "climate emergency". You up with that, down with that?

Citing grave concerns SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN magazine will replace "climate change" with "climate emergency". You up with that, down with that?

Sideways?

Posted - April 13, 2021

Responses

Semantics...word games. 
    No I do not approve.
      April 13, 2021 6:40 AM MDT

Does it bother you that you are always in the minority on every issue? What most folks think you think opposite. What most folks like you like opposite. Is that a conscious decision to always be the contrarian? Does it somehow elevate you in your own eyes? Just wondering since you never devitate from that rigid stricture. NEVER. EVER. NOT ONCE. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Friday to thee and thine.
      April 16, 2021 6:02 AM MDT

I maybe the minority on this website.  No it does not bother me.  I am not in the minority in real life. 

But in any case, I do not need the crowd to validate me nor my opinions. This post was edited by my2cents at April 16, 2021 4:46 PM MDT
      April 16, 2021 6:06 AM MDT

I often agree with m2c.
      April 16, 2021 3:21 PM MDT

Politically? Different strokes. It's a free world out there and you are an adult. You are free to disagree or agree. No one OWNS your preferences or likes or dislikes. Mutuality comes in all sorts of configurations. Don't judge a book by its cover. Measure twice cut once. A stitch in time saves nine. To be or not to be. Perhaps that is NOT the question. What is? It's complicated. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 18, 2021 5:12 AM MDT
      April 17, 2021 5:28 AM MDT

I think it is good .  Cheers!
      April 13, 2021 7:55 AM MDT

Ditto me too m'dear! Thank you for your reply Nanoose! :)
      April 16, 2021 6:00 AM MDT

I'm OK with it. It doesn't really matter what you call it...it's here.
      April 13, 2021 10:06 AM MDT

True. And one can ignore "emergency" as easily as "change". Thank you for your reply E! :)
      April 16, 2021 6:00 AM MDT

It was an emergency a decade ago. Now it's a crisis.
      April 16, 2021 6:08 AM MDT

I agree m'dear. Totally. Cover of the most recent TIME magazine is "CLIMATE IS EVERYTHING. How the pandemic can lead us to a better cleaner world." I haven't read it yet but will. Addressing CLIMATE CHANGE head on. Maybe now is the time when "all good men come to the aid of their party".  "Their party" being mankind worldwide. Climate is affecting all of us adversely. Much of it our own doing. How much of the ADVERSE we have done this far can be undone? Do we know? Thank you for your reply R and Happy Sunday/Monday to thee and thine! :)
      April 18, 2021 5:05 AM MDT

I'm not entirely happy with it because it gives the prose a somewhat sensationalist atmosphere that should not be in a scientific magazine.

On the other hand, being too gentle might down-play the seriousness of the situation and difficulty of the solution.

They are probably be doing it for the right reasons, but hyperbole does not really help.
      April 16, 2021 1:33 PM MDT

"Sensationalist" and "hyperbole"? I disagree on both counts Durdle. Another Mugger on this thread calls it a CRISIS and I agree. Different strokes. Of course you have a right to your view m'dear I just don't agree with you. No worries. It happens. The cover of TIME Magazine just received is "CLIMATE IS EVERYTHING. How the Pandemic can lead us to a better, greener world." I haven't read it yet but will. We can be ahead of the crowd smackdab in the middle or lagging behind. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :)
      April 18, 2021 5:15 AM MDT

I used the adjectives to describe the cover, not the matter itself.

Yes, the rapidly-changing climate is a crisis, but we need proper explanations of both causes and possible solutions - and hope the solutions will work without bringing their own problems that may be at least as bad and certainly even harder to solve. 

What the pandemic may do for us, is convince politicians and society at large that we are part of Nature, not master of it; and to take notice of what the scientists (and in environmental matters, also the engineers) tell us.  
      April 19, 2021 2:57 AM MDT