Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What is the oddest real food that you have eaten?

What is the oddest real food that you have eaten?

Posted - April 17, 2021

Responses

I  ate a slug once but I don't think that would be considered  a real food so I am going to say the oddest real food I ever ate was Gazpacho soup. Cheers and happy weekend d!
      April 17, 2021 10:56 AM MDT

Banana slugs have been used as food by Yurok Natives of the North Coast and by German immigrants in the 19th and early 20th centuries. A yearly festival and contest is held at Russian River including slug races and a contest for recipes – though, even when fed corn meal to purge them or soaked in vinegar to remove slime, the slugs' flavor is not always well regarded for the modern palate, and the most successful entries are often those in which the flavor is unnoticeable.

The banana slug is the mascot of the University of California, Santa Cruz. It is common in local forests, was approved by a student vote and has won awards. One T-shirt caption was: "No known predators!" I'm sure you have seen these before. They were quite common when I lived in Bremerton, WA.

April 17, 2021 11:14 AM MDT

I ate a brown slug it was horrible and I don' t think a bannana  slug would taste any better. For some reason  the bannana  slugs are disspearing  around here which  is bad because slugs are a real benifisal creature. Cheers and happy weekend!
      April 17, 2021 11:27 AM MDT

It seems as if lots of things are disappearing.
      April 17, 2021 11:50 AM MDT

Having been married to foreign-born Asian immigrant* for decades, I am now fully accustomed to eating certain foods the the Western palate considers absolutely abhorrent. Fresh fish is not only a delicacy, it’s also a common and everyday staple of the diet in many Asian countries. It is wasteful to them that Westerners cut off the heads of fish (and other seafood); they eat the entire thing. The head, eyes, brains, gills of fish are just as delicious as any other parts of their bodies. I enjoy them unapologetically, but I neither expect nor force others to accept it as something they should do if they don’t want to. 

*For clarification, even though she was born in a foreign country, she emigrated to the US legally and three years after her arrival, she became a US citizen legally as the spouse of a US citizen (me) and active duty member of the US Armed Forces (also me). In the current climate of certain people making incorrect assumptions and disparaging others from foreign countries, I make these distinctions openly and clearly.
    ~

April 17, 2021 1:20 PM MDT

Good for you and anyone who doesn't waste any part of them. It seems more respectful, somehow. 

**Your clarification bums me out a bit. Assumptions and disparaging remarks about people of foreign heritage or nationality at birth are made by a$$holes. I wouldn't clarify anything for them. I'm sure your feelings for her wouldn't be different if for some reason there had been a problem with her obtaining citizenship years ago. Who we are isn't defined by where we happened to be born! 
    ((steps off soap box))
      April 18, 2021 2:21 PM MDT

It’s not merely a question of where one is born, it’s deeper than that. I intentionally gave the background of my wife’s journey to the US because of those people with negative attitudes  and prejudices. Any bit of fact that may prevent ignorance, I don’t mind sharing. Just about a week ago, my wife shared with me her concerns that if she’s in public by herself and faced by an anti-Asian encounter. After the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, many people of Sikh heritage were attacked by racists and some were even killed, all for being mistaken for Arabs due to wearing their traditional head coverings. After the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941, many Korean-Americans and Chinese-Americans were stupidly subjected to retribution because all Asians were lumped into the same category and singled out.
    ~

April 18, 2021 3:44 PM MDT

I understand. And I can certainly understand your wife's concern! Humans are not my favorite animal. 

I have no tolerance for intolerance. I understand there are big issues and concerns about immigration, particularly illegal immigration. I'm at least 4th-5th generation American and of mostly European ancestry. I appreciate being born in America, and I recognize that the mere fact that I'm Caucasian has afforded me certain privileges and spared me certain unpleasantries, at a minimum. 

*I had to take a break and have completely lost my train of thought and what I was saying*

Yeah. And Japanese-Americans shouldn't have been subjected to retribution either. Nor the Sikh people. Nor Muslim or Arab people, etc., etc. 

Dogs rule, humans drool. 

April 18, 2021 6:55 PM MDT

Chapulines (grasshoppers) in Oaxaca, Mexico. 
      April 17, 2021 2:10 PM MDT

I f**king knew you were HARDCORE!!!
      April 17, 2021 2:29 PM MDT

Not as hardcore as it sounds. They were ground up and flavored with spices. More of condiment than an entree.
      April 17, 2021 3:52 PM MDT

I do not eat odd foods.  The oddest I have eaten is fried clams. 

Though some people may consider BBQ pizza odd. 
      April 17, 2021 3:27 PM MDT

Isn’t it contradictory to state that you don’t eat odd foods except the one that you do eat?

April 17, 2021 4:06 PM MDT

I do not consider fired clams nor BBQ pizza as odd foods.  Fried clams are served in fast food restaurants.  As is BBQ pizza. 

These are as close to odd as I get...I do not consider it odd.
      April 17, 2021 4:26 PM MDT

“The oddest I have eaten is fried clams.”

Yet you called it odd, and now you’re saying that it’s not odd. Imagine why anyone would find that confusing and contradictory. 
    (Listen, has there ever been an instance in which you just swallowed your pride and admitted that you had made a mistake, that you where wrong?  Ever?)

April 17, 2021 5:15 PM MDT

Yes. But that is only for family. :)
      April 17, 2021 5:25 PM MDT

Well, at least you did apply some humor to this. 

~

April 17, 2021 5:48 PM MDT

A third and fifth grape tomato.
      April 17, 2021 3:46 PM MDT

What is that?
      April 17, 2021 4:15 PM MDT

The odd tomatoes.
      April 17, 2021 8:46 PM MDT

As a child I was forced to eat some pretty nasty things; brains, liver, and possibly other animal organs that I've blocked out. Oh, tongue I think... PUKE! Is it any wonder I'm vegetarian? 

Willingly, I think the oddest is probably conch. Others might say seitan, because it's pronounced say-tan. I've freaked a couple of Christian people out, telling them what they're eating. Hahaha! 

April 17, 2021 9:56 PM MDT

My mother served tongue and liver. They were delicious, but I grew up eating them. My wife wouldn't eat them, so I don't cook them. I would love to try conch. This post was edited by Element 99 at April 18, 2021 2:21 PM MDT
      April 18, 2021 11:36 AM MDT

To each their own. I'm with your wife. 

I thought conch tasted a lot like scallops. I didn't eat the 'pistol'. :)
      April 18, 2021 2:31 PM MDT

April 17, 2021 10:06 PM MDT