Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Some proponents of Political Correctness, Woke Culture, or Cancel Culture frown upon the use of the word “homeless”.

Some proponents of Political Correctness, Woke Culture, or Cancel Culture frown upon the use of the word “homeless”.

Today, I saw a city government vehicle emblazoned with the department/unit to which it belongs: “HOMELESS OUTREACH TEAM” or as it’s known by its acronym, “H.O.T.” That department/unit was created approximately a decade ago, which may have been long before widespread umbrage was taken with the word “homeless”. 

Those who are offended by or take exception to the word, and instead prefer terms such as “people experiencing temporary homelessness”, would an appropriate change of the department/unit name be: “People Experiencing Temporary Homelessness Outreach Team” (P.E.T.H.O.T.)?

Posted - April 29, 2021

Responses

Ridiculous.  If you do not have a permanent home, especially if you haven't had one in decades, and you can't afford to rent an apartment, you are HOMELESS - without a home  Period.  Full stop.  
      April 29, 2021 5:35 PM MDT

If you've never experienced it (or been close to someone who has), then you have no right to an opinion. Most of those who choose to be "offended" by anything (yes, it IS a CHOICE) are Karens who are not even remotely affected by the thing with which they are taking offense.
      April 29, 2021 5:42 PM MDT

Exactly.
      April 29, 2021 6:17 PM MDT

“If you've never experienced it . . . then you have no right to an opinion.

Just for clarity’s sake, I am not the “you” referred to in your answer. I do know that it means the general you, and that it doesn’t address me specifically nor individually. I just want others who read this to know it too. I am not one of the people who find fault with the word homeless, nor do I think its new replacement is better.

April 29, 2021 8:33 PM MDT

Definitely the general "you", like the royal "we". I'm not accusing you of anything - other than liking an abomination that looks like the contents of an infant's diaper, and preferring it to Australian ambrosia.
      April 29, 2021 10:34 PM MDT

My brother preferred to be a homeless panhandler. He told me many of his 'friends' were the same. Forget PC.
      April 29, 2021 8:28 PM MDT

I've never been politically correct so the word homeless doesn't bother me because that's what they are. For that matter, the acronym H.O.T. doesn't bother me because it stands for what they do.

It seems to me that the proponents of Political Correctness, the Cancel Culture, and Woke Culture are more concerned with trying to change the meaning of homeless than they are about actually trying to help them. Just my opinion of course.
      May 6, 2021 5:24 PM MDT