Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Have you ever purposely violated a traffic law other than speeding?

Have you ever purposely violated a traffic law other than speeding?

Posted - May 25, 2021

Responses

I’ll bet that many of us have made an “ill-advised” lane change, a “hope no one is looking” u-turn where it was not allowed, a “meh, it’s midnight and nobody is around” breeze through a red light, or the “I’ll just cross this median to avoid all that traffic up ahead”.

One thing I never EVER do is the “school bus, schmool bus, I ain‘t stopping’ for no red stinkin’ blinkin’ lights and fake stop sign hangin’ off the fender”.
    ~

May 25, 2021 12:07 PM MDT

Not completely stopping at a stop sign.  I stopped that when I went to law school.  Those people are really anal about traffic tickets....you know, no regard for the law kind of thing.    It's a good habit to come to a full stop. 
      May 25, 2021 1:17 PM MDT

Out here we call that a "California stop". 
      May 25, 2021 1:32 PM MDT

I’m an adamant and religious and every-single-time and a stickler about stopping COMPLETELY at all stops signs.
    ~

May 25, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

I try very hard to obey all traffic laws while driving (yep, I'm that driver).  Many times it seems as if I'm the only driver who obeys them.

I will admit that on a few occasions I have violated a few laws -

- I've gone through a few red lights, but only because they got stuck (and I waited for 5 minutes before doing so). 
    - I've (literally) slid through a few stop signs (safely), but only when there was several feet of snow on the ground; and had I stopped I would have gotten stuck and become another 1125. 
    -  I've not chained up my truck when chains were required on numerous occasions.
      May 25, 2021 1:28 PM MDT

I’m glad I now live in sunny Southern California. We don’t even think about chains on tires! I grew up in a cold and snowy place, but because it’s a large metropolitan city, chains were never required there, just in the outer areas up in the outlying hills and mountains. Black people hardly ever ventured up there, so we never dealt with tire chains.
    ~

May 25, 2021 2:05 PM MDT

I've done illegal U-turns a few times, got caught one time and nice cop just gave me a verbal warning.
      May 25, 2021 1:42 PM MDT

Crossed a solid double line.

I was parked outside a greasy spoon in a country town (Echuca), en route from Sydney to Warrnambool, getting dinner for the family. Angle parking, nose to kerb. While parked, a truck parked beside me.
    When leaving, I had to back out wide to avoid the truck, and crossed the centre line by no more than 18 inches - just as a police car came around the corner. The officer gave me a ticket for crossing double lines. Had I turned any more tightly I'd have hit the truck. Some cops are a$$hats.
      May 25, 2021 11:05 PM MDT