Discussion » Questions » Family » Do you know anybody who was adopted?

Do you know anybody who was adopted?

My great-grandparents adopted a son to carry on the family name, while my grandparents also adopted a son to carry on the family name. 

Posted - June 23, 2021

Responses

My  baby sister. My mom adopted her out when I was nine. We never knew she existed until three years ago when she found us.
      June 23, 2021 10:01 AM MDT

My nephew was adopted by his step-Dad. 
      June 23, 2021 10:38 AM MDT

Yes, my son I adopted him.  This post was edited by Echooos at June 23, 2021 4:52 PM MDT
      June 23, 2021 12:31 PM MDT

I know of 4 people, personally.
    Neither set of adoptive parents should have been allowed to adopt.
      June 23, 2021 1:00 PM MDT

I don't understand preserving the family name without the bloodline. 
      June 23, 2021 10:09 PM MDT

My Aunt Angela was unable to have children of her own, so she and my Uncle Tony adopted two. I've always regarded them as cousins.
    Two of the next-door neighbour kids were adopted when I was growing up. The weird thing is, their adoptive mother was also told by doctors that she'd never be able to conceive either - then after Karen was adopted, she got pregnant. Twice. As far as I could tell, the two adopted kids weren't treated any differently to their younger sisters.
      June 24, 2021 6:52 AM MDT

I have vague recollections of finding out that a neighbor kid or a classmate (I can’t remember which) was adopted, but being about six years old myself, I didn’t really understand it too well and it was no big deal to me at the time. Just like a lot of kids, my brothers and I would joke around and tease each other with, “You’re adopted!” but in truth, at that age, I never put two and two together to realize that in order to be adopted by someone, a child would have to be given up by someone or taken away from someone.

When I was in high school, one of my teachers told us that he and his wife had adopted two sisters about fifteen years earlier. They (the sisters) had been in some terrible homelife situation before he and his wife found out about them, he and his wife had no biological children of their either before or after taking in the sisters, who were both in college when he told us the tale.
    ~

June 25, 2021 8:00 AM MDT