Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should cell providers monitor our text messages? And block unapproved content?

Should cell providers monitor our text messages? And block unapproved content?

Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/12/biden-covid-vaccination-campaign-499278

Posted - July 13, 2021

Responses

Probably not because then the antivax media would be broadcasting that only a 'corrupt Communist government' would be trying to block text messages to prevent information that the public  'needs to know'
      July 13, 2021 9:03 AM MDT

And they would be right.  It also violates both  US 1st and 4th amendments.
      July 13, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

Right now the liberals and the Democrats really suck at convincing people who don’t agree with them of their viewpoints.  “Fact checking” is one their great fails that doesn’t do anything to convince anyone of their viewpoint.  It just has the opposite effect.

If I were an advisor for the Democrats, I’d tell them to not even think about SMS “fact checking”.  If I were an advisor for the Republicans, I’d tell them to just stand out of the way and let the Democrats try it.

If they want to increase vaccination rates, one of the things I think they’ll have to do is get Donald Trump to do an ad campaign with Joe Biden where Donald Trump takes all of the credit for the COVID vaccines and Joe Biden just sits back and lets him.  Put that ad on in places that voted for Trump but have lower vaccination rates.  I think that would give a short-term bump in vaccination rates.  It might get us to 70% vaccinated, but I don’t know what they could do to change the minds of the hardcore anti-COVID vaxxers.  They’re pretty committed to their cause.

This post was edited by Livvie at July 14, 2021 7:09 PM MDT
      July 13, 2021 12:17 PM MDT

Trump has said he thinks everyone should get vaccinated.  But it should not be forced on anyone.  And yes he takes credit for having them now instead of years from now. 

I do not know how many people would change their.minds if he made such a commercial.  It would not change my position on vaccines. 

July 13, 2021 1:03 PM MDT

The only ones afraid of this would be people who want to destroy this country like the idiots on Jan. 6th.
      July 13, 2021 2:35 PM MDT

You are fine with gov trying to censor your speech and invading your privacy? Just on this topic (covid vaccines) or everything? 

What if Trump gets back in should he censor citizens attacking him? Or should Creepy Uncle Joe censor those who criticize him?
    Or where is the line they cannot cross to censor? 
      July 13, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

I'd rather live where it is safe and give up some so.called freedoms for it.  As a side note, freedom is life's biggest !ie.  How many "restrictions" or laws do we have in place so we can claim to be free?
      July 13, 2021 4:28 PM MDT

Ok. Just temember that when Dems loose control. 
      July 13, 2021 6:15 PM MDT

Monitoring would only work on those naive enough to trust them. The more savvy will detect and circumvent the process. 

Fact checkers are on a par with those Communists who wish to foist their own version of the truth upon us. 
    This post was edited by Malizz at July 14, 2021 7:10 PM MDT
      July 13, 2021 2:52 PM MDT

Google and the rest of big tech help CCP to censor their people and what their people see.
      July 13, 2021 3:42 PM MDT

Fact checkers may be similar to ministries of information or ministries of truth in communist countries, but if private companies are doing the censoring in place of the government and enforcing those types of regulations, that’s actually closer to the definition of fascism.
      July 14, 2021 7:14 PM MDT

So CCP is both communist and fascist.  Google and big tech do censor the entire internet for them. 
      July 14, 2021 8:10 PM MDT