Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What percentage of the things you do are because you want to? The rest are because you have to.

What percentage of the things you do are because you want to? The rest are because you have to.

Maybe this is what causes suicides. Some folks don't want to do anything anymore, but realize they have to, and don't care to go on living. Any thoughts?

Posted - July 27, 2021

Responses

This is why having work, experiences, relationships, etc.  that you're able to enjoy is so important. And why having passions, relationships, purpose, hobbies, etc. into retirement is important. 
      July 27, 2021 7:11 PM MDT

I became used to doing things I did not want to do or I'd get a spankin'. Chores galore dawn till dusk growing up on the old farm.

I think only about 10% of things were for pleasure, going fishing, skating, etc.

All different now in retirement, there is not much that I have to do. And there are significant alternatives to boredom.
      July 27, 2021 9:39 PM MDT

90% of what I do is because I want to.  I've reached the age where I don't have to do things because someone else wants me to.
      July 27, 2021 10:20 PM MDT

I only do what I want to do these days.  Paying bills is not fun but I don't mind doing it.  It supports the economy and jobs, and get my the services I want.
      July 28, 2021 9:41 AM MDT

100%. I do nothing that doesn't have a payoff for me.
      July 28, 2021 12:47 PM MDT