Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Did you ever make some kind of remark just to hear someone say: WHAT!!??

Did you ever make some kind of remark just to hear someone say: WHAT!!??

I told someone that I called to a government bureaucrat office and got through right away.

Posted - July 30, 2021

Responses

Yeah I like doing stuff like that. Cheers and happy weekend!
      July 30, 2021 9:36 AM MDT

• I might do it if I was kidding around with someone.  Other than that, I usually don't like to aggravate people.  

Oops, I didn't really read your question.  Now I see what you're asking ...
    Yes, I might want to tell someone something that I did that they thought wasn't easy or possible... 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 30, 2021 10:46 AM MDT
      July 30, 2021 9:58 AM MDT

WHAT?

I have never done it on purpose.
      July 30, 2021 10:48 AM MDT

Your use of the word combination “just to” causes ambiguity in how your question is perceived. On one hand, it can mean “with the express purpose” or “specifically for the purpose of”. On the other hand, it could mean “resulting in” or “only to have”.  As such, some people are interpreting you to mean that a nefarious attempt to extract an exclamation or startled retort.

After several decades of life and with interactions with thousands or tens of thousands of people, of course that has happened, and on multiple occasions at that. It’s a natural reaction for a wide variety of situations and/or circumstances.  I don’t see how anyone could accurately respond to your question in the negative.

~

July 30, 2021 7:09 PM MDT

I have to repeat my reply since it disappeared somehow..

"I imagine you would meet some unique and interesting individuals out of all these people"
      July 30, 2021 7:16 PM MDT

Not necessarily so. If someone did not hear what was said, did not hear it clearly, did not understand it, those are reasons for asking, “What?” after something was said. It‘s also possible that an incredulous or funny or shocking or risqué or barely believable or outrageous thing has just been said, resulting in, “What?”  Theoretically, I could come up with countless examples of that word being used by a person who has just been told or asked something. That’s why I stated it’s a normal reaction depending on situation or circumstance.
    ~

July 30, 2021 7:35 PM MDT

Yes, that sort of thing certainly is part of my sense of humor. 
      August 1, 2021 6:42 PM MDT