Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Family » When you were growing up, what was the one food item or one meal most often* served at home? ~

When you were growing up, what was the one food item or one meal most often* served at home? ~

[*This is regardless of being a food or meal that you loved very much or that you despised very much.]

Posted - August 5, 2021

Responses

• My Dad was Italian .. so pasta was served quite a bit in our house.  That was fine with me.
      August 5, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

Sandwiches. Mom would make us brown-bag lunches with other stuff in the bag.
      August 5, 2021 1:21 PM MDT

I love you, man. 

~

August 5, 2021 10:44 PM MDT

Mom's "salad".  A scoop of  cottage cheese (usually pineapple cottage cheese), atop a pineapple ring, atop a large iceberg lettuce leaf. While there were a few days during a month that we got to skip it, it was ALWAYS served with Sunday lunch (which was always a tuna fish sandwich).
      August 5, 2021 2:07 PM MDT

A chicken in the pot with veggies and dumplings.
      August 5, 2021 10:25 PM MDT

Chicken Tetrazini. It was always one day was week for years. My mom had 7 meals prepared for each day of the week. Stuffed hash green peppers. Tomato paste onion pork chops. Sheppards pie. Pot roast and dumplings. Lasagna. Meatloaf. Hot dogs and beans and brown bread. My mom made Bisques mix strawberry shortcake with strawberries and home made whipped cream. They never made salad but most always brown bread was included. Cornish game hens were a nice novelty.

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at August 6, 2021 9:48 AM MDT
      August 5, 2021 10:46 PM MDT

I don't remember. 
      August 5, 2021 10:49 PM MDT

Weet-bix at breakfast, sandwiches for lunch (my siblings and I were also "brown-baggers") and mashed potatoes and green beans accompanied whatever meat dish was on for the week. Mum by her own confession was a terrible cook, it was the one domestic chore she hated above all others.
    To this day I hate green beans with a deep passionate loathing.
      August 8, 2021 5:25 AM MDT

I will only eat them raw.
      August 8, 2021 7:17 AM MDT