Discussion » Questions » Environment » What is a product that you use daily or quite often that does not cause pollution?

What is a product that you use daily or quite often that does not cause pollution?

Posted - August 30, 2021

Responses

Sunlight.
    The air I breathe.
      August 30, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

Neutrogena moisturizer
      August 30, 2021 12:12 PM MDT

My telephone. But, everything that is manufactured pollutes to a very small degree.
      August 30, 2021 12:38 PM MDT

My bed.
      August 30, 2021 12:55 PM MDT

Fart sack.
      August 30, 2021 1:12 PM MDT

I remember those.
      August 30, 2021 3:58 PM MDT

EVERYTHING causes some kind of "pollution" - either in its manufacturing, its use, or in its disposal. 
    To most of us, the word pollution evokes images of as massive toxic clouds coming out of smokestacks (air pollution), or undrinkable water (water pollution), or garbage alongside a roadway (litter).  However, pollution can refer to more than just those.   Excessive light = light pollution.  Excessive noise = sound pollution.  Cluttered landscapes = visual pollution.   
    When the items in our homes were made, they generated some sort of pollution (e.g. air, water, soil, light, sound).  How we use these items can also cause pollution - running a loud lawn mower can be noise pollution, keeping outside lights on all night can be light pollution, cooking can create air pollution, the very food we eat can cause pollution - our excrement can be pollution ...  especially if it isn't "disposed of" properly (and even then). 

Everything causes some kind of pollution... one way or another.
      August 30, 2021 2:14 PM MDT

That's why I only listed sunlight, and the air I breathe.
    Both are the only natural things I use, that don't cause pollution.
    (The air I exhale not being pollution, as it is necessary for plants.)

lol
      August 30, 2021 2:44 PM MDT

Sunlight is radiation.  This can cause thermal pollution.

The air you exhale is CO2 - you know , the thing that's causing "global warming".  Plants can only turn CO2 into oxygen in the daylight (photosynthesis).  Otherwise they respire oxygen.

Some of the air you inhale gets swallowed.  It eventually comes out the"exhaust pipe" as carbon dioxide, methane and hydrogen sulfide - pollution.
      August 30, 2021 5:19 PM MDT

I am going by the definition of pollution as the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that cause adverse change.
    Since sunlight is part of the natural environment, I do not view it as pollution.

I guess we could debate if people are part of the natural Earth environment ... depending on if humans were descendants of extra-terrestrials.
      August 31, 2021 7:41 AM MDT

Biodegradable poop bags. Other than their production causes pollution, as others have pointed out. 

August 30, 2021 6:29 PM MDT

Walt has already offered air and sunlight.

I add one more: water. You could consider what I might put into the water, but wherever that goes and whatever with, the water itself is not a pollutant!
      September 8, 2021 4:33 PM MDT

Soap and body wash.
      September 8, 2021 4:42 PM MDT