Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » If you’ve ever collected any types of rocks, what do you or what did you do with them? ~

If you’ve ever collected any types of rocks, what do you or what did you do with them? ~

Posted - August 31, 2021

Responses

I've collected rocks from these mountains for years.  And most of 'em are all over my yard.  I've got 2 granite slabs on the landing of the lower stairs (hauled them out on one of my hikes).  They're many pieces of petrified wood lining the back wall (I collected them from the river).  There's a basket of quartz crystals on my deck (collected them from a gold mine).  I have numerous diamond-shaped chunks of slate along the shed and under some potted plants (I collected the slate just below the summit).  There's a 5 gallon bucket with various smaller rocks I've hauled in over the years by the neighbors fence (I believe there's some opalized stone in there).  Numerous large rocks adorn the pathways as well as my back sidewalk.   Serpentine, quartz, granite, shale, slate, quartzite, copper, Chinese writing stone, obsidian, basalt, ... just to name a few.  I used to know the type of every one of the rocks I collected. 
      August 31, 2021 11:31 PM MDT

Classified them and submitted said collection as a geology project. It was a gneiss thing to do, but doing it gave me the schist.
      September 1, 2021 7:56 AM MDT

Great opportunity to brandish your punning abilities, King! You rock!
    ~

September 1, 2021 9:20 AM MDT

I have/had a nice collection of various minerals and fossils, but I gave most of them away to my grand kids.
      September 1, 2021 8:17 AM MDT

My girls used to bring home a rock almost every time we went out.  They would paint them when we got home.  Yes, my office had many beautiful rocks to keep me smiling.   
      September 1, 2021 2:54 PM MDT